No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioinformatic analysis of exome sequenced data for gene fusions

Hello

I have 10 tumor DNAs sequenced for whole exome. I am interested in getting it analyzed for finding fusion genes in it. Can somebody help me analyze it for me

Thanks in advance

I don't think its possible to find gene fusions from DNA exome data. You would need RNA data instead. You can find SNPs with exome data but doubtful you can attribute them to gene fusions unless you had other supporting evidence.

Comment

Yes you are right in a way. Number of people have been sceptical. But there are number of papers in reputed journals like nature genetics etc who have identified gene fusions from exome sequence data. People have ascribing this to the reason depending upon where the breakage has occurred. Since this data is lying with me I want to take a chance and see if the analyzed data throws up some candidate genes which can be tested by RT etc. Would you be able to analyze the data or suggest somebody who can do it for me. Most definitely the person will get credit in the form of authorship etc if something meaningful comes out.

Thanks

Comment

Including the word "DNA" in your original post was what led to golharam's comment. You have 10 tumor (RNAseq) and it should be possible to look for gene fusions (https://www.biostars.org/p/45986/ and http://omictools.com/gene-fusion-detection-c141-p1.html) in that data.
        Last edited by GenoMax; 02-06-2015, 10:11 AM.

Comment

No I dont have RNAseq data. I have DNA exome sequence data.

Comment

Whole Exon sequences

Comment

My apologies. What method was used to prepare the exome (capture, PCR)?

Comment

Sequencing libraries were generated according to the standard protocol of Illumina Inc. for high-throughput sequencing

Comment

Some discussion about this over at biostars: https://www.biostars.org/p/113591/

Comment

Can you tell me what papers you are referring to?

Originally posted by RNAsequestion View Post
                    Yes you are right in a way. Number of people have been sceptical. But there are number of papers in reputed journals like nature genetics etc who have identified gene fusions from exome sequence data. People have ascribing this to the reason depending upon where the breakage has occurred. Since this data is lying with me I want to take a chance and see if the analyzed data throws up some candidate genes which can be tested by RT etc. Would you be able to analyze the data or suggest somebody who can do it for me. Most definitely the person will get credit in the form of authorship etc if something meaningful comes out.

Thanks

Comment

Whole-exome sequencing identifies a recurrent NAB2-STAT6 fusion in solitary fibrous tumors
                      Nature Genetics VOLUME 45 | NUMBER 2 | FEBRUARY 2013

Comment

I remember that discussion on biostars. At the end of the day, the power to detect gene fusions with whole-exome data is incredibly low. If a study is actually interested in gene fusions from the get-go, then it should just use RNAseq.

Comment

Seeking Collaborator for RNASEQ Analysis for identifying fusion transcripts

Dear Bioinformatics Community:

The wisdom of sages of NG Sequencers say that it is not advisable to put efforts to analyze the whole exome (EXON) sequence data to try to find gene fusion because of the chances being very slim. I am thinking of doing RNA seq of 3 tumors. Is somebody ready to analyze that for me for gene fusions. I am open to develop collaboration and the person will get due credit.

Thanks in advance

Comment

You may want to post that as a new thread to get more visibility.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                            • seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                            0 responses