No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seeking pool-seq experimental design advice

Hi,
    I am asking for thoughts and suggestions on a re-sequencing project examining pooled samples of individual mosquitoes which are highly susceptible to malaria vs resistant.

Here is my general experimental design:

Infect 500 genetically diverse mosquitoes with malaria (These mosquitoes are from a colony that was founded from 100 wild-caught mated females and have been kept in the lab at reasonable population size for 5 years).

Take the phenotypic extremes from these 500 individuals:
    40 with very high infections,
    20 that have very low infections, and
    20 that didn't get infected at all.
    (Exclude the 420 mosquitoes that fall in the middle).

Carry out DNA extractions on all 80 individual mosquitoes.
    PicoGreen estimates of DNA quantity so equimolar amounts can be pooled.

That is where I am now. My goal is to identify alleles (SNPs) which have very different frequencies between the phenotypes (e.g., Highly susceptible vs Resistant)

Here is what I am struggling with.

I have limited resources so can only afford 1 lane (possibly 2 if it makes a huge difference) of HiSeq PE100.

My gut instinct is that the best approach would be to divide my DNA preps so that I make 3 separate library pools per phenotype using DIFFERENT individuals resulting in 9 pools (each phenotype with 3 (sort of) biological replicates) as follows:

HiPoolA=13 individuals
    HiPoolB=13 individuals
    HiPoolC=14 individuals

LowPoolA=6 individuals
    LowPoolB=7 individuals
    LowPoolC=7 individuals

ResistantPoolA=6 individuals
    ResistantPoolB=7 individuals
    ResistantPoolC=7 individuals

Each of the 9 pools could then be sequenced to ~8x on a single lane (mosquito genome is ~220Mb).

Alternatively, I could forget this "biological replicate" idea, and pool all individuals by phenotype and sequence each of the 3 pools to ~25x.

HiPool=40 individuals
    LowPool=20 individuals
    ResistantPool=20 individuals

Given the small sample sizes that I have, the low coverage I can achieve per phenotype, and the resampling issues (sequencing the same individual repeatedly just by chance, leading to skewed allele frequencies), which design is better? Or is there another option that I am not considering (sequencing each individual 1x is not feasible because of the high cost of indexing).

I am grateful for any thoughts/suggestions.
    Thank you!
    Mara

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses