No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping rRNA reads

Hi,

I'm trying to map the rRNA back to a reference genome from an RNA-seq expt using SOLiD data from S.cerevisiae, but nothing maps back to the rDNA (literally nothing).

This is true for ABI's SOLiD software tools as well as Bowtie. I'm pretty sure my polyA purification wasn't 100% (in fact I know there's rRNA in there), so I can't understand why it won't map. ABI don't know, either, so I wondered if anyone else has tried this, or has some idea why it fails?

My best guess is that too many reads are mapping to a small area, and this exceeds some sort of limit in the software (although its curious that ABI and Bowtie software behave the same)....

Thanks

If you have RNA-seq data and map those reads back to yeast ribosomal RNAs reference sequences (28S, 18S & etc), there shouldn't be a problem... provided nothing wrong with the mapping.

Comment

Yeah, I've actually been able to get them to map back to the rDNA when its by itself, but not as part of the genome. Which is curious, but this is good enough for my purposes.

Thanks

Comment

Are you using a repeatmasked reference genome? That might mask out the rRNA genes (depending on what you consider a repeat or not, I believe UCSC stores the rRNA genes in its repeat tracks) and explain why you don't see any mapping to these regions.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. No, our rDNA sequences are in the genome - I can map to them when using genomic DNA reads, but not with transcriptome data. That leads me to think that the program has some issues with an unusually high number of reads mapping to a short region, and hence doesn't map them. It (mostly) works when I use a single rDNA unit as the reference genome, but even sometimes then it doesn't work (for reasons I don't understand).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses