No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PippinPrep for TruSeq small RNA library selection

Hi all,

I want to use the PippinPrep for size selection of my TruSeq small RNA libraries. In the TruSeq kit they give the specs for selection an a polyacrylamide gel. They however compensate (according to Illumina) for a ~7 nt deviation in size from what is expected for adapters adding 118 nt. According to them a 21 nt insert fragment will run at ~146 on a PAA gel. Is there somebody who has successfully used the PippinPrep (3% cassettes) and will be able so tell me with the settings they used to select the fragment containing the 21 and 24 nt inserts?

Thanks
    Marike

Pippen Prep and small RNA cleanup

Hi Marike,

Your post was made quite a long time ago so I hope that your have resolved the problem and can help me. I am currently trying to do the same thing. I set up the Pippen Prep using a broad range size selection setting the parameters to 110bp start and 160bp end. I pooled all my miRNA libraries before loading on the gel for a total load of about 1ug/lane. I ended up with a very nice sharp peak as viewed by the Tape Station, however the peak is at 119bp, which is quite a bit off from 144-150bp. I am hoping there is a shift between the peak that the Tape Station shows and what the Pippen Prep collected and that my end product is really the correct size. I am getting ready to run PAGE as the illumina protocol suggests and see where this peak I collected runs. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I would love to use the Pippen Prep for cleanup.

Thanks,
    JenMar

Comment

Hi JenMar

I haven't used the Pippin in a while and in the end started using PAGE (I do not have easy access to the machine anymore). In order to avoid selecting libraries without an insert I set the range from 133 to 156. This gave me the correct library size range without any adapter-dimers or primer-dimers. I remember that, on the Pippin, I got very sharp peak around 120 that I didn't collect, so the empty library were definitely there before size selection but not afterwards. A library without an insert is around 118 nt so I hope you didn't include the empty library, but PAGE should definitely clarify that and provide the opportunity to select for the actual library with insert.

All the best
      Marike

Comment

Hi Marike,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I will try the range you suggested. We do have a Pippen in the lab so I would like to utilize it since there is not as much cleanup afterwards compared to the PAGE method.

Thanks again!
        JenMar

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses