No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribosomal RNA contamination

Hi everyone,

I have a question in relation to a differential expression analysis that I ran with rRNA contaminated samples.

Essentially, my samples had 60-70% rRNA content, but I chose to go ahead with the analysis once removing these sequences since I had enough reads to work with (15-20M). Contamination was seen in both cases and controls.

However, what I am wondering now is if I can trust the results I am seeing? Is there any way that high rRNA content can affect patterns of expression? Comparing results with cases and controls with no contamination I see 1. More DEGs in the non-contaminated sample 2. Different DEGs (only 1 gene overlap). Of course they are different people but they do have the same disease and the controls are matched so I am a bit at a loss to whether this makes sense

Hope this was clear.
    Many thanks.

Bumping my own post.

Comment

Can you give some more details about your experiment set up and the methods / pipeline you are using. Is it possible that in your contaminated samples you do not have enough coverage to identify most of the differentially expressed genes?

Comment

Originally posted by ddb View Post
        Can you give some more details about your experiment set up and the methods / pipeline you are using. Is it possible that in your contaminated samples you do not have enough coverage to identify most of the differentially expressed genes?
        I should have enough coverage in the contaminated samples. I had approximately 75M reads before removing the rRNA sequences.

The pipeline is removing rRNA sequences with bbduk, trimming with trimmomatic, aligning with STAR (latest HG38 version) counting with HTseq and finally DESeq2. About half of the samples were contaminated but were sequenced at a greater depth to achieve the same coverage as in the non-contaminated samples once removing the rRNA content. A PCA plot shows that the contaminated samples are clearly distinct from the "good" batch. I have controlled for batch (and tried several tools) but the PCA plot still shows a clear distinction. It feels like either this seperation is due to that these samples were sequenced at two different times (but many people work with samples like this and I think I should be able to control for this) OR due to the fact that they had a lot of rRNA during sequencing.

Do you think that expression levels can be affected by a high content of rRNA in the sample while sequencing?

Comment

Do you think that expression levels can be affected by a high content of rRNA in the sample while sequencing?
          Not likely. For a sequencer it is just DNA. Does not matter if it came from rRNA or some other gene. If the two sets of runs happened on two different chemistries or different machines then may be something else to consider.

If your samples were all treated the same how come you have rRNA contamination in some samples but not others?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
            Not likely. For a sequencer it is just DNA. Does not matter if it came from rRNA or some other gene. If the two sets of runs happened on two different chemistries or different machines then may be something else to consider.

If your samples were all treated the same how come you have rRNA contamination in some samples but not others?
            Thanks for your reply.
            Unfortunately the rRNA depletion failed in about half of the samples and instead of re-doing the libraries the sequencing facility sequenced at a greater coverage instead...

They should have been run on the same machine and the only difference is that they were run at different times and then of course the contamination. However, if the rRNA contamination shouldn't cause any problems, I don't know why I can't control for this batch effect that I see in the PCA plot I have tried including batch in the model in DESeq2 and EdgeR. I have also tried correcting with RUVseq and ComBat. I am now looking into ImpulseDE2.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
            • seqadmin
              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
            0 responses