SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The T4 RNA Ligase in Small RNA Illumina Kit mnkyboy RNA Sequencing 2 05-28-2014 12:57 AM
T4 Ligase Bias anyone1985 General 0 11-09-2011 07:18 AM
T4 Ligase Bias anyone1985 Illumina/Solexa 0 11-09-2011 07:17 AM
PubMed: RNA-ligase-dependent biases in miRNA representation in deep-sequenced small R Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 10-18-2011 03:00 AM
Ligase for DIY GAII library preps nickb Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 03-05-2010 11:36 AM

Old 06-23-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Aero

Default Ultrapure ligase from Enzymatics

Hi,

I am curious if anyone has tried the "ultrapure ligase" (as in the Quail et al, Nature Methods paper) from Enzymatics. Thanks!

A large genome center's improvements to the Illumina sequencing system.
Quail ME, Kozarewa I, Smith F, Scally A, Stephens PJ, Durbin R, Swerdlow H, Turner DJ
Nature Methods 2008; 5(12): 1005-10
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
peromhc

anyone.. wondering if it really makes much difference versus "regular" ligase.
peromhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
shurjo

I use it and it works great for me (I can't make a comparison with regular ligase as I've used this as my sole ligase). What I can tell you is you get 400ul of the enzyme for ~$300, so it's not outrageously expensive.
shurjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
captainentropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromhc View Post
anyone.. wondering if it really makes much difference versus "regular" ligase.
so if you look at the details between the two SKUs the only difference is the concentration of the ligase and the "rapid" includes a buffer that has PEG in it (for molecular crowding).
http://www.enzymatics.com/product_l603-lc-l.htm
http://www.enzymatics.com/product_t4-dna-ligase-hc.htm

The higher concentration is preferred for blunt-end ligations (since it's a lower efficiency reaction). However, for library construction we are ligating T-overhang adapters to A-overhang DNA fragments. The question this begs is why would we want to increase the efficiency of ligation between DNA fragments that don't have an A-overhang? And if it's correct (according to the Quail et al. paper) that the ligases from companies other than Enzymatics, have enough nuclease activity to convert some of the A-overhang fragments back into blunt end fragments then shouldn't we never use the rapid ligases?

Maybe someone has a cogent answer but I'm thinking I'm not going to use the "Quick/Rapid" ligases anymore (or just dilute them).
captainentropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainentropy View Post
The higher concentration is preferred for blunt-end ligations (since it's a lower efficiency reaction).
This is a common misconception. Blunt ligation is extremely efficient. In fact 1T:1A ligation is the trough in the efficiency plot (lower than both blunt and >1 base overhangs).
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Isequencestuff

We've tried Enzymatics' "ultra-pure ligase". Compared to a lot of other ligases on the market there does seem to be a significant increase in ligated fragments as determined by qPCR pre and post ligation ( their ligase is what we currently use now). Utilizing Covaris for shearing also seemed to increase our ligation efficiencies.
Isequencestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
Purification2013

I am in the purification department for enzymatics. Company purity standards are ten fold others. Nuclease activity is near nil.
Purification2013 is offline   Reply With Quote