SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
target region file for samtools (.bed file) lifetech01 Bioinformatics 1 07-09-2014 03:59 PM
Exome Sequencing vs Target Region Sequencing Marco0208 Genomic Resequencing 4 11-25-2013 10:09 PM
Bait tiling snapper Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 06-05-2012 10:31 PM
SureSelect bait QC via RNA-seq ? ECO Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 05-22-2012 11:04 AM
Zygosity difference oyvindbusk Bioinformatics 3 01-31-2012 05:56 AM

Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Brambo

Default Difference between bait and target region

Hi all,

I am using CalculateHsMetrics.jar of PicardTools.
Although I defined my targetinterval exactly the same as my bait interval (BAIT_INTERVALS=$targetInterval TARGET_INTERVALS=$targetInterval), my mean_bait_coverage and mean_target_coverage in my output file do differ ( 600X vs 2X) What can be the reason for this?

thanks in advance,
Brambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
david_2012

Wondered the same thing and found your post DuckDuckGoing it. Eventually figured out the little difference in how they are computed, according to the documentation (http://broadinstitute.github.io/pica...ml#HsMetrics):
MEAN_BAIT_COVERAGE The mean coverage of all baits in the experiment.
MEAN_TARGET_COVERAGE The mean coverage of targets that received at least coverage depth = 2 at one base.

I think the difference is that the mean target coverage is only calculated for targets where at least one base has a coverage of 2 or higher. However, mean bait coverage is calculated for ALL baits, including those with no coverage at all. You would thus expect these (almost) no coverage baits to drag down the average to a lower value, which is what I see.
david_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bait, interval, picard, target