Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novomethyl comments

Has anyone implemented novomethyl for methylation calling in their research? What are your thoughts/comments? Do you like it?

Up until now I have used my own scripts to call methylation status from bisulfite reads, but am considering novomethyl.

That's not a name I'd seen before and there doesn't seem to be much information about it even on the Novocraft web site.

We use (and wrote) Bismark for doing both bisulphite alignment and methylation calling in a single step. We did this because, as you found, although there are a number of decent aligners around it's not always easy to convert the alignments into a set of methylation calls - especially if it's important to you that methylated and unmethylated reads are mapped with comparable efficiencies.

Comment

Wasn't aware Colin and crew were building such tools! Will check them out.

I've built a variety of apps for processing novoalign bisulfite reads, single end or paired into the USeq package. (See the Bis seq apps section : http://useq.sourceforge.net/applications.html )

BisStat takes a single methylome and generates xxCxx context statistics and graph tracks for IGB. It also identifies mCs using a binomial pval -> B&H FDR

BisSeq takes two methylomes and identifies differentially methylated regions using a chi-square/ fischer-exact -> B&H FDR.

ScoreMethylatedRegions uses a permuation test to look for differences in methylation between a user defined list of regions and a matched background.

Attached is a screen shot of some reprocessed data from Laurent et. al. showing differentially methylated regions (ES vs Fibro) at the tbx2 locus.

Comment

A new version of novomethyl has been released. Colin has also written quite an extensive guide for methylation calling that I would highly recommend you'll check out.
        The latest version of novomethyl can be downloaded from www.novocraft.com. We are going to do some validation against Bismark in the near future.

Comment

Thanks a lot zee. Please let us know when you've finished/published the validation against Bismark. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Zee,
            Have you already validated novomethyla against BismArk. I am using novomethyl fo my methylC-seq data and cn't find any publication that has use novomethyl.

Comment

Hi Slp and Gen2007
              The short answer is no we have not done an extensive comparison of the two systems. Bismark is alignment+methylation caller so the best way to compare would be against novoalign(bisulfite)+novomethyl.
              Bismark should be using Bowtie2. It will good for somebody to do a fair, unbiased comparison.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses