Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The number of raw reads

Hello, I am gonna make a table to do some stats of my Illumina pair-end sequencing.

There is a column (The number of raw reads). This is pair-end sequencing. If I got 10 million from R1 and I will have 10 million from R2. When I say the number of raw reads. should I put 10 million or 20 million (R1+R2).

Thanks

for pre-alignment counts you could count the number of lines in the FASTQ files and divide by 4. I use wc -l

Comment

Originally posted by SDPA_Pet View Post
      Hello, I am gonna make a table to do some stats of my Illumina pair-end sequencing.

There is a column (The number of raw reads). This is pair-end sequencing. If I got 10 million from R1 and I will have 10 million from R2. When I say the number of raw reads. should I put 10 million or 20 million (R1+R2).

Thanks
      Illumina "ac"counts for them as 20M reads in their spec sheets (but they come from 10M unique clusters).

Comment

Originally posted by husamia View Post
        for pre-alignment counts you could count the number of lines in the FASTQ files and divide by 4. I use wc -l
        I have software to count. That's not a problem. Here is what I am concern. Should I add them number together after I get the number of R1 and R2 reads.

Comment

I have software to count. That's not a problem. Here is what I am concern. Should I add them number together after I get the number of R1 and R2 reads.
          if R1 and R2 are the paired sequences, then should be count R1 = count R2 = number of clusters

Comment

Originally posted by husamia View Post
            if R1 and R2 are the paired sequences, then should be count R1 = count R2 = number of clusters
            I know. I mean when I report the total number of raw reads? should I report the number of clusters or the number of R1 or R2 X2.

I know the theory behind this. I am asking here is about which way the normal way to report the raw reads.

Comment

I know. I mean when I report the total number of raw reads? should I report the number of clusters or the number of R1 or R2 X2.

I know the theory behind this. I am asking here is about which way the normal way to report the raw reads.
              If you want to track how many fragments were sequenced then at the cluster level. If you want to count total number of reads that came from a lane then at R1+R2 level.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                If you want to track how many fragments were sequenced then at the cluster level. If you want to count total number of reads that came from a lane then at R1+R2 level.
                HI GenoMax,

Thanks. Besides BBTools, do you know any other software can check some basic information about assembled genomes/metagenomes data files. For example, some basic information such as total number contigs, N50, largest contigs, etc.

Comment

HI GenoMax,

Thanks. Besides BBTools, do you know any other software can check some basic information about assembled genomes/metagenomes data files. For example, some basic information such as total number contigs, N50, largest contigs, etc.
                  Try QUAST/MetaQUAST.
                  Last edited by GenoMax; 10-20-2016, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                    Anyother software. I don't like this much

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses