No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAM/BAM MD tag

Dear all,

I am writing a parser for the MD tag in SAM/BAM files because I couldn't find one. I am interested in tallying the alignment mismatches and the MD field contains the information I need.

In the example of the SAM manual:

The MD field aims to achieve SNP/indel calling without looking at the reference. For example, a string "10A5^AC6" means from the leftmost reference base in the alignment, there are 10 matches followed by an A on the reference which is different from the aligned read base; the next 5 reference bases are matches followed by a 2bp deletion from the reference; the deleted sequence is AC; the last 6 bases are matches. The MD field ought to match the CIGAR string.

I was wondering how the MD field would describe a 2bp deletion that is followed by a mismatch e.g.

R: AAAAAAAAAAATTTTT--GTTTTT
    Q: AAAAAAAAAAGTTTTTACATTTTT

since this would be "10A5^ACG5".

Perhaps I need to incorporate the CIGAR information to properly parse these cases or these cases never happen? Of course if a parser is already available for doing this, I would much prefer that.

Thank you in advance,

Dave

Should have looked before I posted my question but nevertheless this post could still be useful for someone else.

30M8D6M 27T2^ATGCATTT0G3T1

There is a 0 separating the 8 deletions and the single mismatch after the deletions.

Comment

Could you please share the source code of the parser ? Would be sooo nice of you

Comment

bio::db::sam has a parser that does this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_bess View Post
          Could you please share the source code of the parser ? Would be sooo nice of you
          Hello,

As nilshomer suggested, use the Perl module use Bio:B::Sam. I wrote some code which uses the module:

Lincoln Stein has written a bunch of modules to deal with SAM/BAM files. Check out the CPAN module. If you are having trouble installing Bio::DB::Sam, you may have to recompile SAMTools with the following command: To install the Perl module on a machine where you don't have root access, follow these instructions. Using this module,...

The code is written by me, so caveat emptor.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

What is the meaning of '0' in MD tag

I could never understand what the purpose of 0 in MD tag. Could you help understanding that please.
            thanks.
            Adrian

Comment

I haven't found why they are necessary, but sometimes it helps to have them visually. They generally occur between SNPs, or between a deletion then a SNP.

For example, "5^AC0C5" with a cigar "5M2D6M", or "5A0C5" with a cigar "12M". In the former it is easy to see where the deletion ends (the 0) and the next base (a C SNP) starts.

The SAMtools code puts them in, so other's follow the same lead. You could ask the samtools help list.

Comment

For clarification on the 0, see this blog: https://lh3.github.io/2018/03/27/the...and-the-md-tag

As nilshomer indicates this is to delineate mismatches from the reference in the context of deletions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses