No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina Adapter trimming

Dear all,

when trimming Illumina TrueSeq paired-end reads with fastx_toolkit, is it correct to

- trim the IndexAdapter from the forward reads
    GATCGGAAGAGCACACGTCTGAACTCCAGTCAC‐NNNNNN‐ATCTCGTATGCCGTCTTCTGCTTG

- trim the reverse complement UniversalAdapter from the reverse reads
    AGATCGGAAGAGCGTCGTGTAGGGAAAGAGTGTAGATCTCGGTGGTCGCCGTATCATT

?

I know this sounds trivial and you may think this has been answered in other threads, but actually I couldn't find a definite conclusion.

So please, just a short affirmation or correction.

Thank you very much in advance!

Come on, 95 views and no answer?

Or maybe you are playing safe and trim both forward and reverse reads with both adapters, each regular and reverse complement?

Please answer.
    Every help is highly appreciated!

Comment

I can tell you that the FASTX trimmer is very aggressive and has been built with another purpose in mind - personally I use cutadapt. FASTX was trimming after it recognized 5 bases out of the adapter.

Comment

Hmm, I have read this already. However, I specify to only cut if at least 15 bases are matching the adapter string. But I will also try cutadapt!

Certainly my question was "In which direction/orientation is the Universal Adapter present in my reverse reads?".
        Any suggestions? I can't believe nobody is aware of it...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramet View Post

Certainly my question was "In which direction/orientation is the Universal Adapter present in my reverse reads?".
          Any suggestions? I can't believe nobody is aware of it...
          See if this helps: http://genomics.med.tufts.edu/docume...q_Adapters.pdf

Comment

I don't have a schematic drawing handy of the how exactly the adapters look on either side, but in the end both sides of the read will start with the same part of the adapter sequence "AGATCGGAAGAGC" (for this you also need to consider A-tailing on the 3-end of the reads) before they start forking off with a different sequence for the first and second reads. We have written a small wrapper around Cutadapt called Trim Galore, which will in its default setting trim off Illumina (including TruSeq) adapters from both reads of paired end read. The usage would be as simple as writing:

trim_galore file1.fq file2.fq

hth

Comment

Hi all!

I have tried "grep" with a substring of the Universal Adapter sequence and its reverse complement. I got 10 hits for the regular sequence and 10.000 hits for the reverse complement of the published sequence. I guess it is quite clear now...

But thanks for all responses!

Comment

Originally posted by fkrueger View Post
                I don't have a schematic drawing handy of the how exactly the adapters look on either side, but in the end both sides of the read will start with the same part of the adapter sequence "AGATCGGAAGAGC" (for this you also need to consider A-tailing on the 3-end of the reads) before they start forking off with a different sequence for the first and second reads. We have written a small wrapper around Cutadapt called Trim Galore, which will in its default setting trim off Illumina (including TruSeq) adapters from both reads of paired end read. The usage would be as simple as writing:

trim_galore file1.fq file2.fq

hth
                Does it consider all indexed truseq adapters?
                Thank you!

Comment

Yes, they all start with the same sequence.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses