SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[DEXSeq] exon counts to "PSI" (exon inclusion level) yerbol Bioinformatics 3 11-23-2015 05:32 PM
edgeR spliceVariants: gene- and exon-level dispersion bstephenwhite@gmail.com Bioinformatics 3 09-11-2014 03:47 PM
DEXSeq - Counting with HT-seq at the exon level Yohann Bioinformatics 1 05-09-2014 11:35 AM
Gene expression level from replicates gen2prot Bioinformatics 4 07-10-2013 02:03 AM
How to compute exression ratio of Human Exon 1.0 ST array on probe level tujchl Bioinformatics 14 10-30-2012 07:30 AM

Old 06-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #1
Ohad

Default exon expression level

Hi there.

I would like to to get for a list of exons their expression level from my RNA-seq data.
I thought about using cufflinks but the problem is that cufflinks generate FPKM at the isoform level. I usually feed cufflinks with a refseq gtf file downloaded from UCSC table browser (under genes and genes prediction), and cufflinks use that to build locus.
I thought to switch back from locus to exons (using the ref ID NM/R_somenumber) but it's a wrong way to go by since:

1) many exons participate in more than one transcript, and each has a different FPKM value
2) FPKM number are probably calculated considering fragment length and each transcripts has its own, so I cannot just sum up the FPKM from all transcripts for a particular exon

If I was in a world in which every gene had only one transcripts I guess my life would be easier and I would be blonde and handsome , but reality is crueler than that.

All tables I can download on ucsc include variants so I got my hands on illumina truseq exome file containing all exons per gene in a definitively matter, meaning each exon appear once , even if some belongs to different variants. But it seems this file is no good for cufflinks and it was not able to build locus right.

I thought of just using samtools for each exon:
samtools view accpeted_hits.bam chr1:exonstrat-exonend | wc -l
and just get and number and calculate my own FPKM using the exon's length (and total number of reads)

Do you think using samtools is fine ?
Ohad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Just use DEXseq and its python script for counting exonic bins. This is a solved problem. Yes, you'll get raw counts, but you can do whatever you want with those then.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
Ohad

Do I need to install the whole package or can I just use this one script ?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #4
dpryan
Devon Ryan

As I recall, the python scripts are just wrappers around htseq-count, so you can likely use them without the rest of the R package. Having said that, if you're interested in using the data to look at differential exon usage then DEXseq would be the tool to use anyway.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
Ohad

As for now I only need the expression, will samtools be enough ?
I would like to save the time of learning how to use this package as I'm not that familiar yet with R
Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #6
dpryan
Devon Ryan

As long as you don't have paired-end reads, then yes, that'll work. You could also just
Code:
samtools view -c alignments.bam chr1:start-end
since the -c option will do the counting for you.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Ohad

ok thank you for this help.

I do have paired-end reads, but I guess I could write some script to handle that, using the reads ID.

Nevertheless, I do preform differential exons analysis quite often, as I study alternative splicing, so it's about time I learn to use DEXseq anyhow.