Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strelka: Somatic small-variant calling workflow for matched tumor-normal samples

Hello All,

Strelka is a new workflow available to call SNVs and small indels from sequencing data for matched tumor-normal samples. It is designed to detect somatic variants at lower frequencies typically encountered in tumors due to sample impurity or sub-clone variation. The workflow also provides computational efficiency appropriate for the whole genome sequencing case: requiring ~1 core-hour per 2x combined tumor normal coverage.

More information/source code available here:

https://sites.google.com/site/strelk...cvariantcaller

We appreciate any feedback on how these methods can be improved.

Best Regards,

-Chris Saunders

Looks like the license is fairly restrictive. Any chance of moving this to an open source license?

Comment

Hello,

I could be interested in the tool that you suggest since it deals with my problematic, but as said nilshomer, there seems to be restrictions with the license, I am not able to download the sources...

Jane

Comment

Hi Nils and Jane --

Thanks for highlighting this issue, I will take a look today to see what our options are wrt the source license.

-Chris

Comment

I've gotten additional feedback about the source download link on some web browsers. The source download URL is:

ftp://[email protected]

Note that no password is required. In firefox it looks like a password prompt comes up anyway -- you can leave the password field blank and just hit "Ok" to enter the ftp site.

Comment

Originally posted by ctsa View Post
            I've gotten additional feedback about the source download link on some web browsers. The source download URL is:

ftp://[email protected]

Note that no password is required. In firefox it looks like a password prompt comes up anyway -- you can leave the password field blank and just hit "Ok" to enter the ftp site.
            I am able to download the source code fine, but it is the license to which I do not agree.

Comment

Hi Nils --

Sorry if there's a misunderstanding, the additional ftp advice is in response to a separate conversation. As I replied above, I'm working on the license issue.

-Chris

Comment

Sorry, thanks for looking into it!

Comment

platform independent?

Good news!!

Couple of questions:

a) Does Strelka support alignment files from Roche 454/FLX sequencing reads? or Is it designed mainly for Illumina data?

b) How does it handle calls at homopolymer regions, especially for 454/MiSeq/IoT platform data? Is this tested?

Thanks in advance

Raj

Comment

Why are there two "format" fields in the output?

I wonder why there are two "format" fields in the output (the last two columns of the output file) of this type: DP:FDP:SDP:SUBDP:AU:CU:GU:TU. Have been looking for explanation but all in vane.

Comment

I also wonder what are the optional "extraStrelkaArguments" that are possible to specify in the configuration file. Is there a list?

Specifically, is it possible to filter the calls on variant allele frequency? My "passed" SNV list contains lots of calls that are supported by 1 or 2 reads with the alternative base, along with a couple of hundred reads with reference base. These are presumably sequencing errors.

Comment

I'm trying to use Strelka on some sequencing data we got from Solid 5500, with its BAM file aligned with LifeScope 2.5.
                        The LifeScope-produced BAM file seems to be incompatible with Stralka.
                        Does anyone know of a way to convert the BAM into something acceptable by Strelka?

Thanks in advance.

Well, it seems I was just missing an index .bam.bai file, which I created using samtools index aln.bam.
                        It is running now. Let's see how it goes.
                        Last edited by lethalfang; 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM. Reason: Problem may be solved.

Comment

It looks like nilshomer's initial question was never addressed. We have the same concern with using this software:

"Looks like the license is fairly restrictive. Any chance of moving this to an open source license?"

If this could be moved to open source, that would make it easier to deploy in pipelines/platforms that are themselves open source projects...

Comment

Looks like I'm not getting emails for this thread. I'll try to briefly cover the existing questions but encourage you to re-post any current issue to the strelka mailing list here:

- License:

Strelka has recently been moved to the Illumina Open Source Software License (v1). Details are on github here:

- Incompatible BAMs:

All known BAM restrictions are described in the FAQ here:

Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

- Format Fields:

All format fields are described in the VCF header, as well as on the website here:

Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

Comment

Hello,

I am using Strelka 1.0.14 on WGS data for a few days.
                              Strelka ran without problem on my samples.
                              To further filtered my list of variants, I need information about the coverage of reference and "variant" alleles in both normal and tumor samples.

As I read in the strelka discussion list, the number of reads supporting the "indel"(=variant) allele is given by the TIR column (its first field preferentially).
                              My problem is to find the number of reads supporting the reference allele.
                              Maybe I missed something, but I tried DP, TAR, DP-TOR, TAR+TOR,... without success....
                              In some cases, DP seem ok. In other cases, TAR+TOR look ok.
                              This information is crucial for my analysis and I am stuck here with this detail...

Could you please tell me how to compute precisely the number of reads supporting the reference allele?

Thank you in advance,
                              Jane

ps: I just posted this question on the strelka mailing list, but it could be more visible here

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses