Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper: "Rapid whole-genome mutational profiling using next-gen technolgies"

Interesting paper out in Genome Research comparing resequencing performance using the three leading platforms.

Rapid whole-genome mutational profiling using next-generation sequencing technologies

Douglas R. Smith1,7,9, Aaron R. Quinlan2,7, Heather E. Peckham3,7, Kathryn Makowsky1, Wei Tao1, Betty Woolf1, Lei Shen1, William F. Donahue1, Nadeem Tusneem1, Michael P. Stromberg2, Donald A. Stewart2, Lu Zhang2, Swati S. Ranade3, Jason B. Warner3, Clarence C. Lee3, Brittney E. Coleman3, Zheng Zhang3,4, Stephen F. McLaughlin3, Joel A. Malek3, Jon M. Sorenson3,4, Alan P. Blanchard3, Jarrod Chapman5, David Hillman5, Feng Chen5, Daniel S. Rokhsar5, Kevin J. McKernan3, Thomas W. Jeffries6, Gabor T. Marth2,9, and Paul M. Richardson5,8,9

1 Agencourt Bioscience Corporation, Beverly, Massachusetts 01915, USA; 2 Boston College Biology Department, Higgins Hall, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 02467, USA; 3 Applied Biosystems, Beverly, Massachusetts 01915, USA; 4 Appplied Biosystems, Foster City, California 94404, USA; 5 US Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute, Walnut Creek, California 94598, USA; 6 Institute for Microbial and Biochemical Technology, US Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, Wisconsin 53726, USA

Forward genetic mutational studies, adaptive evolution, and phenotypic screening are powerful tools for creating new variant organisms with desirable traits. However, mutations generated in the process cannot be easily identified with traditional genetic tools. We show that new high-throughput, massively parallel sequencing technologies can completely and accurately characterize a mutant genome relative to a previously sequenced parental (reference) strain. We studied a mutant strain of Pichia stipitis, a yeast capable of converting xylose to ethanol. This unusually efficient mutant strain was developed through repeated rounds of chemical mutagenesis, strain selection, transformation, and genetic manipulation over a period of seven years. We resequenced this strain on three different sequencing platforms. Surprisingly, we found fewer than a dozen mutations in open reading frames. All three sequencing technologies were able to identify each single nucleotide mutation given at least 10–15-fold nominal sequence coverage. Our results show that detecting mutations in evolved and engineered organisms is rapid and cost-effective at the whole-genome level using new sequencing technologies. Identification of specific mutations in strains with altered phenotypes will add insight into specific gene functions and guide further metabolic engineering efforts.

in fact i first saw this presented at a meeting by Gabor about 1 year ago - which implies the data are very old. Gabor is a bit more circumspect about the meaning of the results in his associated genomeweb interview. Its not the only paper to come out comparing the state of platfoms over a year earlier. I just dont think the analsys->submission-<review and publication cycle is fast enough to keep pace with the rate of development of the technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by clivey View Post
      I just dont think the analsys->submission-<review and publication cycle is fast enough to keep pace with the rate of development of the technologies.
      Good job we have SEQanswers!

Thus, this approach could help accelerate the
      development of novel organisms for bioenergy and biotechnol-
      ogy applications as well as facilitate traditional forward and re-
      verse genetic screens.
      Last edited by dan; 09-24-2008, 05:53 AM. Reason: Added a nice quote from the paper
      Homepage: Dan Bolser
      MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

SNP discovery

Thanks for an encouraging paper. I have been setting up SNP discovery with 454 sequencing and I get a lot of false-positives: the validated approach used will help me identify sensitive steps for accuracy improvement. Is anyone else working in this area?

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder View Post
          Thanks for an encouraging paper. I have been setting up SNP discovery with 454 sequencing and I get a lot of false-positives: the validated approach used will help me identify sensitive steps for accuracy improvement. Is anyone else working in this area?
          Not with 454, but rather the Illumina GA. In our first trial project we encountered many FPs as well.

Comment

We are now setting up a small trial run with higher coverage and known samples to improve detection. Will this work?

Comment

Originally posted by acnoll View Post
              Not with 454, but rather the Illumina GA. In our first trial project we encountered many FPs as well.
              recalibrate the base scores. use a snp-caller that understands them.

Comment

I think you´re right. We already have the results and are reprocessing the base calling with PyroBayes. Do you know of other efficient basecalling softwares?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses