Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP calling vs. individual curated genes using 454 data from multiple heterozygotes

Hi.. yes, the title says it all. I need to identify novel SNPs (or, for that matter, any polymorphisms) in a bunch of curated genes (1500 or so). We don't have a genome. I have a lot of 454 exome sequencing data, which is specifically enriched for the genes I am looking at; this comes from a number of individuals in a mapping population.

So far, I have de novo assembled the 454 data (to ensure that the gene models we have are valid, but that's a different problem). I've also had a go at mapping the raw 454 reads (from one individual) using an individual gene as a backbone. Obvious SNPs there. This has been done using both MIRA and Geneious. MIRA produces a file detailing where it thinks there are SNPs, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel by writing a program to convert it into a .gff file if it's been done already, and there's no statistical "niceness" score for the SNPs.

So a few questions..
    1)Is there any software that can call SNPs/polymorphisms and give me some statistical measure of the "goodness" of the SNP, i.e. the likelihood that the SNP is correct and not just a sequencing artefact?
    2) Is there any software that can call SNPs and produce an annotation track ( .gff file) that I can then annotate the gene models with?
    3) Is the above a good approach and am I missing anything?

Any tips on automating this process would be appreciated too. I've already written scripts to automate the de novo assembly / mapping to individual genes, but tips on how to select good SNPs from the mapping etc would be nice.

Thanks all from New Zealand!

Start with Galaxy... I'll give it some research and get back to you!

Comment

Well the quality of your SNP can be determined by the depth you require, the SNP base quality score, and the quality of neighboring bases. All of these you can set...Im pretty sure in mira.
      There are plenty of SNP programs that use bayesian stats to call SNPs: http://www.biostars.org/p/5395/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses