Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "allele balance ratio" and "quality by depth" in VCF files

In a recent paper entitled "Exome sequencing as a tool for Mendelian disease gene discovery", the authors write:

"The analysis pipeline consisted of: alignment using the Burrows–Wheeler alignment tool; recalibration; realignment around insertion–deletions and merging with the Genome Analysis Toolkit (GATK)91; and removal of duplicates with PICARD. Variants were called using the following parameters: quality score > 50, allele balance ratio < 0.75; homopolymer run > 3; and quality by depth < 8."

I have three questions:

1. Once the removal of duplicates step/PICARD step is done, you will be left with a bam (or sam) file. So what subsequent steps are taken in order to find the four numbers that they're filtering on?

2. If I run things through the GATK pipeline up through the UnifiedGenotyper step, I end up with a vcf file. This site describes elements in that file:

Is "allele balance ratio" the same as "##INFO=<ID=AF,Number=.,Type=Float,Description="Allele Frequency, for each ALT allele, in the same order as listed">"?

3. The only mention I see of "quality by depth" is here:

##INFO=<ID=QD,Number=1,Type=Float,Description="Variant Confidence/Quality by Depth">

I assume that "Variant Confidence" is the same as "QUAL", in which case I could calculate "Quality by Depth", but this seems wrong because they want LOW "quality by depth" scores. Do they instead mean this QD ratio when they say "quality by depth"?

Thank you.

Eric

Looks like old hard filtering parameters for the VariantFiltration walker, but are some of them backwards? See e.g:

(note that the FilterExpression filters calls OUT if true).

GATK and its filtering recommendations have evolved since then, and AB is no longer in the output by default, see e.g.:

In the most recent pipeline, an entirely different approach to filtering is recommended (VQSR):

Comment

Hi RDW,

Thanks so much for the help. This makes sense and I very much appreciate the links.

Best wishes,

Eric

Comment

This makes sense and I very much appreciate the links. I new here. I run a professional guide for Nigeria.
        Hello Everyone. My name is wisdom enang and i am the CEO of proguide. Proguide.ng is a website that provides professional guide for Nigerian.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses