Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exact duplicate reads/readnames/quality/tiles in Novaseq FASTQs

Anyone seen this? Some (not correlated with software versions AFAICT) of our MarkDuplicates jobs are failing because there are exact copies of the same reads in the fastq. Identical readnames, locations/tiles, sequence, qualities.

Really weird...

Sounds like bcl2fastq experienced a software issue. I suggest that you re-run the demultiplexing. I have seen this posted rarely and if I recall had experienced it one time. bcl2fastq re-run fixed the problem.

I will also put a plug in for clumpify.sh from BBMap suite. It allows detection of all/optical dups without alignment of data.

Comment

We've run it several times to no effect, but are re-running it now with single threaded writing...I'm hopeful that helps....

Comment

Interesting. Let us know what happens.

Comment

I'm experiencing this problem as well! Unfortunately, I just notice this error and a third of the ~40 runs we've done have the problem. The runs are not sequential and there were no software updates or changes to the scripts that start the demultiplexing. I'm using bcl2fastq v2.19.1.403.
          Once I run bcl2fastq again with the same original settings (`bcl2fastq -r 4 -p 4 -w 4`) , the process doesn't generate duplicated data.
          Has anyone found a way to fix this? What's going on?!

Comment

Have you tried upgrading bcl2fastq v2.20? v2.19 was really buggy for NovaSeq data

Comment

Hi kcchan,

yes, I updated to v2.20 this morning but saw the same behavior later in the day. However, when I reran bcl2fastq I got the correct number of reads. I think it might be something that my pipeline is doing.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses