No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem somewhere during paired-end seq analysis -> no reads mapped

Hello everybody,

this is my fist time to try to handle to analyze paired-end sequencing files.
    Finally BamCoverage complained there are no mapped reads in my Bam file. Also IGV doesn't show any reads.
    I really don't know, where i lost my reads.
    Here is what i did:

# Quality an adaptor trimming with trim galore:

trim_galore ../paired_1.fastq ../paired_2.fastq -q 20 --paired --phred33

# Mapping with bowtie

bowtie_opts="-p 4 -m 3 -S"
    bowtie_index="path/6008.5_BAC.ebwt"
    bowtie $bowtie_opts $bowtie_index -I 0 -X 700 -1 ../paired_1 .fq -2 ../paired_2.fq > paired.SAM

# Mapping report:
    # reads processed: 4743277
    # reads with at least one reported alignment: 1979307 (41.73%)
    # reads that failed to align: 2758162 (58.15%)
    # reads with alignments suppressed due to -m: 5808 (0.12%)
    Reported 1979307 paired-end alignments to 1 output stream(s)

(-> 42 % of mapped reads might seem problematic. Since the sequenced plasmid was extracted from E.coli, there is a lot of contamination.)

# SAMs to BAMs

samtools view -bS ../paired.SAM > paired.BAM
    samtools index paired.BAM

# BamCoverage
    BamCoverage -b paired.BAM -o BamCoverage/paired.bw

This does not work and results in the following error message:

"Samtools reports that the number of mapped reads is zero for the file paired.BAM. Please check that the file is properly indexed and that it contains mapped reads."

When i google for this error message i cannot find a helpful answer. Maybe someone knows what is wrong. Since 1979307 reads could be mapped, i don't get why zero reads should be mapped.
    Thanks a lot, Alex

I got it on my own, after a short break. I forgot to sort the bam files...

Comment

One point - it looks like you are using bowtie for alignment, which is obsolete for most purposes. Bowtie2 is a much more accurate aligner, and can detect indels. BWA is another great alternative, as is (commercial) Novoalign.

Comment

Thanks for the hint. My adviser told me it is sufficient to use Bowtie 1.
        I tested Bowtie 2 now and i got 10 % more alligned reads. For another sample even 23 %, which is really a lot!
        Thanks again!

Comment

Let's not forget BBMap as a good non-commercial alternative.

Comment

@Alex852013: A large % of reads is still failing to align (if you are only getting 23% of reads to align) so you may want to investigate why that is so. Quick blasting @NCBI should give a clue as to whether you data has unexpected contamination.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              @Alex852013: A large % of reads is still failing to align (if you are only getting 23% of reads to align) so you may want to investigate why that is so. Quick blasting @NCBI should give a clue as to whether you data has unexpected contamination.
              Didn't he say 23% more not 23% total? In any case the original post talked about mapping a mixture of plasmid and E.coli reads against the plasmid and thus he expected a low percentage.
              Last edited by westerman; 01-07-2016, 10:13 AM. Reason: Added question mark.

Comment

I missed that fact from the original post. @Rick: Thanks for pointing that out. If true #6 can be safely ignored.

Comment

Yes, it meant 23 % more, which makes 96 % in total. Perfect!
                  Nevertheless, thanks for caring!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses