No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with alignment

Hello everyone!

We have received from BGI china a few samples we sent for exome sequence + Basic analysis. We got the fastQ files and BAM files. I have made my own BAM files using BWA and Picard tools using the following commends:

BWA:
    bwa mem human_g1k_v37.fasta file1.fq.gz file2.fq.gz file3.fq.gz file4.fq.gz > result.sam

PICARD:
    java -jar SortSam.jar I=result.sam O=result.bam SORT_ORDER=coordinate

The size of the files that I got (2Gb) , was about a half from the BAM files BGI (4.2 Gb) sent me.
    Here are the samtools flagstat results for both files:

my BAM file:

[gen-biorep@gen-biorep-3 VA6]$ samtools flagstat result.bam
    28842836 + 0 in total (QC-passed reads + QC-failed reads)
    0 + 0 duplicates
    28824861 + 0 mapped (99.94%:-nan%)
    28842836 + 0 paired in sequencing
    14423043 + 0 read1
    14419793 + 0 read2
    28593748 + 0 properly paired (99.14%:-nan%)
    28814004 + 0 with itself and mate mapped
    10857 + 0 singletons (0.04%:-nan%)
    165631 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr
    131466 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr (mapQ>=5)

BGI BAM File:

[gen-biorep@gen-biorep-3 result_alignment]$ samtools flagstat VA6.rmdup.bam
    57668392 + 0 in total (QC-passed reads + QC-failed reads)
    3039053 + 0 duplicates
    57369744 + 0 mapped (99.48%:-nan%)
    57668392 + 0 paired in sequencing
    28834196 + 0 read1
    28834196 + 0 read2
    56991680 + 0 properly paired (98.83%:-nan%)
    57273460 + 0 with itself and mate mapped
    96284 + 0 singletons (0.17%:-nan%)
    198072 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr
    181774 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr (mapQ>=5

why does half of my reads disappear? How can I solve this problem?

Thank you,

Omri
    Last edited by [email protected]; 08-05-2014, 05:04 AM.

Unless you mislabeled the flagstat output, it looks like your results contain about twice as many alignments as those from BGI, though that could be due to yours containing multiple copies of multimappers while BGI's doesn't. In general, you'd need to look at how they aligned things and that will likely tell you why there's a difference.

Comment

BTW, please don't cross post on both here and biostars, it creates duplicate work from the community.

Comment

Does either set of BAM file include unmapped read pairs? 'samtools idxstats example.bam' might help answer this.

P.S. Duplicate question was https://www.biostars.org/p/108537/

Comment

Sorry for the duplicate, won't happen again..

I'll try to remove the question from BioStars

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
          BTW, please don't cross post on both here and biostars, it creates duplicate work from the community.

Comment

thank you. I have mislabled the flagstat ouputs, I have change it. BGI have more reads.

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
            Unless you mislabeled the flagstat output, it looks like your results contain about twice as many alignments as those from BGI, though that could be due to yours containing multiple copies of multimappers while BGI's doesn't. In general, you'd need to look at how they aligned things and that will likely tell you why there's a difference.

Comment

The .bam from bgi reports the exact same number of read 1 reads as read 2 reads. Yours does not. Are you sure that giving it 4 fastq files at once is the proper way to use bwa mem? I wonder if it is just ignoring those last two files. Maybe you could spot-check to see if read names from those fastqs are in your .bam

Comment

problem solved

Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
                The .bam from bgi reports the exact same number of read 1 reads as read 2 reads. Yours does not. Are you sure that giving it 4 fastq files at once is the proper way to use bwa mem? I wonder if it is just ignoring those last two files. Maybe you could spot-check to see if read names from those fastqs are in your .bam
                Well i merged the 4 fastQ into one file and it did the trick. It's appear that BWA-MEM ignored from the last 2 files as you said. I got the right size of BAMs after that . Thank you swbarnes2 very much for your help!

Comment

Well, don't merge them into 1 file, that's just throwing away real paired information.

You want all of the read 1 data in one fastq, and all the read 2 data in a second. Just make sure that the nth entry in the first fastq has the same read name as the nth read in file 2.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses