• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [NGS - analysis of gene expression data] Machine Learning + RNAseq data

Hello,

i'm a portuguese student girl of master degree in bioinformatics

Do you advise me some good websites/articles for theese topics:
    --‐ Next generation sequencing for gene expression measurement (RNA‐seq)
    --‐ data analysis challenges in RNA--‐Seq data
    --‐ applications of machine learning in classification of RNAseq data
    --‐ identification and critical analysis available tools

I wanted to focus more in "applications of machine learning in
    classification of RNAseq data" do you know some pratical case that i could
    present to my classmates?

Thanks a lot,

Inês Martins
    University of Minho, Portugal

Hi Inês,

Here is a recent review about RNA-seq challenges in bioinformatics:
    http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/...d=NMETH-201106

However, no real "machine learning" method comes to my mind about RNA-seq.. I do not recall Cufflinks or Scripture are trained on some learning dataset. Are they?

Comment

Storey paper

There are excellent references in this paper:

John Storey

H. Craig Mak
      Nature Biotechnology 29, 331–333 (2011) doi:10.1038/nbt.1831
      Published online 08 April 2011
      John Storey provides his take on the importance of new statistical methods for high-throughput sequencing.

Good luck!

Comment

By "machine learning", do you mean clustering and classification? To my k nowledge, not much has been done there yet so far. This is because, typically, you want to have large data sets with tens, better hundreds, of samples, to bring ML techniques to fruitful use and then, microarrays are still preferred as they are still cheaper. So, have a look at what people have done for microarray studies. I'm sure people will pretty soon start thinking about how to adapt these methods to RNA-Seq, so stay tuned.

Comment

thank you all guys

Comment

In the topic: Next generation sequencing for gene expression measurement

i'm doing RA (relative abundances)... I have the number of EST in one gene and i divide it by the total number of EST in the sample... is this right?

Comment

It's not enough to normalise with the number of est in sample. let me referr you to RPKM (PMID: 18516045) or packages like deg-seq, rna-seqc.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckytah View Post
                In the topic: Next generation sequencing for gene expression measurement

i'm doing RA (relative abundances)... I have the number of EST in one gene and i divide it by the total number of EST in the sample... is this right?
                I am confused about the terminology. What is your data/experiment exactly? ESTs are not reliable and should not be used to infer expression values. If you are doing some Digital Gene Expression or SAGE experiment then it is possible. With full RNA-seq too but methods differ: with SAGE tags you do not expect the length of the transcript to matter as the goal is to get all the reads of a given transcript to originate from a unique position. For Whole Transcriptome Sequencing RNA-seq reads should originate from all over the transcripts. Therefore the number of reads is expected to correlate with the size of the transcript, so a normalization may be required (see RPKM above). Note that if you are comparing gene expressions between different conditions this size-normalization is not required.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                • seqadmin
                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                0 responses