SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mixing paired-end and single-end reads in Tophat: Do I have to reverse the SE-reads f JonB Bioinformatics 5 12-11-2015 02:08 AM
Creating psuedo paired-end sequencing reads from single-end reads cburke04 Bioinformatics 6 01-14-2015 07:10 PM
Uniquely mapped reads and difference for single end and paired end reads gene_x Bioinformatics 2 01-13-2015 01:55 PM
How to count number of mapped paired-end and single-end rna-seq reads repinementer Bioinformatics 8 01-06-2013 06:06 AM
Can Cuffdiff treat paired-end and single-end reads at the same time? zun RNA Sequencing 3 06-12-2012 06:37 PM

Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
prolife

Default reads number in single-end vs paired end seq

Hi all,

probably a stupid question but, i'm going to use NextSeq500 and preparing my sample with TruSeq Nano library prep kit.

Sequencing will be performed by the V2 kit, 75 cycles.

So, the stupid question is:
the reads count with single end seq is up to 400M, does it means that the paired end seq will produce up to 800M reads??

Many thanks
prolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
luc

If you count like Illumina does, then yes these would be 800M reads. You will still sequence only 400M library molecules though.
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:33 AM   #3
prolife

Yes I'll sequence 400M molecules. But if my fragmented DNA is around 150 bp the difference compared single and paired is that in the latter I'll sequence all my fragments, isn't it?
prolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
GenoMax

Nope you are unlikely to sequence "all" your fragments since you sequence only a fraction of the library that you load on the flowcell.

You always sequence fragment)s). If you stop after sequencing one of the ends then that is all you get. If you happen to sequence from the other end they you get spatial information that tells you how long the original library fragment is. You can know this in two ways. If you have a reference genome you can map your reads to that genome and figure out how far apart they map. If you don't have a reference genome but your insert sizes are small then you can merge the two reads to create a longer representation that gives you the size if the insert. If you only start with 150 bp inserts and say do 2 x 100 bp paired end sequencing then your reads will overlap in the middle.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote