Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to identify a gene targeted by external sequence into NGS data?

Dear all
    I am working on a Trascriptome project (Illumina GAIIx, paired ends).
    I have 2 samples of Arabidopsis Thaliana. Within their sequences, an external sequence of a different genome has been inserted (transfection should be the word): the reason behind this choice is that we would able to identify the gene (prior unknown) that this sequence links, so that we can easily look at this gene expression.
    My problem is that I need to identify which gene the sequence links.
    Is there any software that achieves my goal?

I did classical RNA-seq steps:
    - QC
    - Alignment (Tophat - Bowtie)
    - DEG (Cufflinks/diff)

I cannot search the external sequence into the aligned samples since the external sequence does not align with the samples' reference genome.

Thank you!!
    Best
    Andrea

I'm not entirely clear on what the insertion is. Is it a T-DNA from Agrobacterium? That seems the most likely candidate since you are working with Arabidopsis.

The other problem is, do you know whether or not the insert is actually in a transcribed region?

If the sequence of insert is known, say if it is a T-DNA, then there are methods like TAIL-PCR that can be used to identify the flanking sequences of the insert.
    Last edited by chadn737; 08-10-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I would probably just create a database from your possible insertion material & search it with your favorite short read search tool (e.g. BWA, Bowtie). That will identify any reads carrying the inserted DNA. If you can find a read pair (or do you not have them) with one read in the insertion and one in an Arabidopsis message, then you are home.

There are some tools out there specifically to look for these, but I forget the names.

Comment

Thank you all for your messages!

Is it a T-DNA from Agrobacterium?
        The other problem is, do you know whether or not the insert is actually in a transcribed region?
        to chadn737: the insertion is GUS and the method is the gene trap. This time we tried without labeling a specific gene but letting GUS attach to all available genes.

There are some tools out there specifically to look for these, but I forget the names.
        (...) just create a database from your possible insertion material & search it (...)
        to krobison: your suggestion is really nice; if you figure out those tools, let me know ;-) Do you know how to create a database of reads? How can I call BWA/Bowtie to search for this insertion? Is it a Blast?
        Last edited by aner; 08-18-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

By database of possible insertion material I simply mean a FASTA format file with the possible insertions. The documentation for BWA, Bowtie & BLAST will instruct you how to index that file for searching (alas, each requires its own indexing).

BTW, a paper on finding such large insertions is

Identifying insertion mutations by whole-genome sequencing

Comment

By database of possible insertion material I simply mean a FASTA format file with the possible insertions. The documentation for BWA, Bowtie & BLAST will instruct you how to index that file for searching (alas, each requires its own indexing).
            BTW, a paper on finding such large insertions is
            Identifying insertion mutations by whole-genome sequencing
            Thank you very much. I will test this method and I will let you know results.

Comment

as keith suggested, its straight forward to make a bwa formatted reference sequence (for the external sequence) and see what reads map to it... I hope you did paired reads, and the pair of the mapping read maps to the arabidopsis genome, so you can ascertain where the sequence links on the genome....
              --
              bioinfosm

Comment

I hope you did paired reads
                Thank you bioinfosm. Yes, I have paired reads; I will see soon if the pairs maps to Arabidopsis genome. ...I hope to be lucky...!

Comment

You might try building a Bowtie index that includes the external sequence as an additional 'chromosome' and then running TopHat Fusion.

Comment

You might try building a Bowtie index that includes the external sequence as an additional 'chromosome' and then running TopHat Fusion.
                    Thank you dcfargo. I read the poster and I found the relative article (so far draft). I will try also this approach!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses