Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opgen MapSolver output to fasta scaffold?

Greetings,

I'm trying to close a genome using optimal maps and sequence data. I have mapped my contigs to the Whole Genome Map and was hoping to try and close gaps in the scaffold. I know that MapSolver currently doesn't have the functionality to export a scaffold based on the map, but was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to create a fasta scaffold based on information in the Placement Report.

thank you,

Jason

It is pretty remarkable that OpGen doesn't provide this, especially when a workable one can be written in a page of Perl or Python. I'm a bit too tired to do so tonight, but here is an outline (maybe next week I'll actually throw this together & post it)

1) Read the MapSolver placement report file -- there is a one line header and then tab-delimited lines with the information of interest; stop scanning when you hit a blank line (there are later pieces with other information).
    2) Parse the lines just read. Optical map id is column 0, start and end on map are columns 1 & 2, contig id in column 3 (plus mapping method; need to strip this out by removing 1st space and everything afterwards), start & end positions of contig are columns 4 & 5 and the orientation in column 6. If placement did not include entire contig, need to decide whether to truncate contig to what MapSolver liked OR cram entire piece in
    4) Generate list of contigs plus the intervening gaps. If MapSolver thinks they overlapped, need to decide whether to still pad with a gap or not
    5) Read in FASTA file with contigs, saving those that are needed; trim & reverse complement as needed
    6) Build scaffold(s)
    7) Write scaffold(s)

SIMPLE! :-)

Bio::SeqIO & Bio::Seq will be essential for doing this in Perl

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I figured that there was a solution, but I didn't want to re-invent the wheel if someone had already written something that works. I will start writing a script following your work flow. Thank you.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by themerlin View Post
        Thanks for your reply. I figured that there was a solution, but I didn't want to re-invent the wheel if someone had already written something that works. I will start writing a script following your work flow. Thank you.

Jason
        Hi Jason, have you found the solution to use mapsolver map to produce the scaffold? Would you mind sharing it with me? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
          It is pretty remarkable that OpGen doesn't provide this, especially when a workable one can be written in a page of Perl or Python. I'm a bit too tired to do so tonight, but here is an outline (maybe next week I'll actually throw this together & post it)

1) Read the MapSolver placement report file -- there is a one line header and then tab-delimited lines with the information of interest; stop scanning when you hit a blank line (there are later pieces with other information).
          2) Parse the lines just read. Optical map id is column 0, start and end on map are columns 1 & 2, contig id in column 3 (plus mapping method; need to strip this out by removing 1st space and everything afterwards), start & end positions of contig are columns 4 & 5 and the orientation in column 6. If placement did not include entire contig, need to decide whether to truncate contig to what MapSolver liked OR cram entire piece in
          4) Generate list of contigs plus the intervening gaps. If MapSolver thinks they overlapped, need to decide whether to still pad with a gap or not
          5) Read in FASTA file with contigs, saving those that are needed; trim & reverse complement as needed
          6) Build scaffold(s)
          7) Write scaffold(s)

SIMPLE! :-)

Bio::SeqIO & Bio::Seq will be essential for doing this in Perl
          Hi Krobison, I'm not good at programming. Do you have any script to produce scaffold fasta file using mapsolver's output? Thanks a lot.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Yesterday, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses