Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shearing DNA for Chip-seq

Has anyone had trouble shearing formaldehyde crosslinked chromatin to small enough fragments to go into Illumina library prep? Our protocol calls for shearing to 200-300 bp fragments after crosslinking but it seems that we can't breakup the chromatin to anything less the ~800 bp by Bioanalyzer. We have tried traditional sonicator and Covaris. What are we doing wrong?

Hi,

I wonder which protocol you used to shear chromatin using Covaris? I have attached our two updated protocols. One is for using SDS based buffers, and one is for using non-ionic detergent based buffers. Please prepare your samples according to one of the protocols, and let me know how it works for you.

Thank you

Hamid
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, we had tried older protocols from Covaris dated late last year for the SDS buffer. We will try the new non-ionic buffer protocol and post our results as soon we have something.

Comment

Hi,

The new SDS-based buffer protocol works just as well now, so you are welcome to try either protocol. My suggestion would be to use a sample volume of 500ul in the TC12 tubes.
        What is the cell type, and cell number you are using in this experiment?

Thank you

Hamid

Comment

we used the SDS-based buffer protocol with sample volume of 500ul in the TC12 tubes. They were Jurkat cells, and 20 million cells in each tube. We did 5,10,15,20,25 and 30min, with the intensity 5. No difference in shearing size. All stayed around 800-1kb by Bioanalyzer tracing.

Comment

To me it sounds like you've overcrosslinked your chromatin. What is your crosslink strategy?

Also, I know with the bioruptor the tube choice makes a difference. Some tubes barely let any of the sonic energy through the tube wall. The TPX tubes from diagenode so far are the best. Since the TPX plastic is used in high sound frequency applications so it makes sense that it is the best.

Comment

1% Formaldehyde for 10 min at room temp, quench with glycine. We are using the tubes recommended for the Covaris. Thanks for your input.

Comment

hmmm. Interesting. We crosslink (thymocytes) at 1x10^6 cell/mL in 1% formaldehyde for 10 min in a 37 degree air incubator with rotation. Then quench with 0.125M glycine for 10 min on ice.

Your conditions seem mild enough. But I can't help but think they are somehow overcrosslinked. Have your conditions worked in the past and give you a more reasonable 300bp avg frag size?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses