SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How IGV recognize the reference region? dkrtndhkd Bioinformatics 2 02-01-2012 08:58 AM
Targeted Genome Assembly for region poorly represented in reference genome? gumbos Bioinformatics 1 01-09-2012 05:01 PM
Please help: imperfect reference genome/get consensus on genome/read alignment? KAP Bioinformatics 1 08-19-2011 08:14 AM
alignment reads in homologous region m_elena_bioinfo Bioinformatics 7 03-16-2011 08:27 AM
alignment and reference genome assembling slny Bioinformatics 3 03-16-2011 07:49 AM

Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
houkto

Default Alignment to selected region of the reference genome

Hi There,

I usually align my NGS reads of rat strains to Brown Norway (rat) reference genome. However, the rat reference genome still a draft and there are many gaps in the genome. Recently, we obtained one of these gaps (3 fasta files) that we are interested in by the group who will release the next assembly. The question now how I can integrate these fasta files (we know the coordinations) into the reference genome .fa file?

Would aligning our reads against these fasta files would subsequently give us the SNPs and Indel of the new fasta files regions or shall the way to do it is by integrating the files into the genome (would like to know how) is the only way to get the variants in the new regions ?

Cheers
houkto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
westerman
Rick Westerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkto View Post

Would aligning our reads against these fasta files would subsequently give us the SNPs and Indel of the new fasta files regions ...
It should. Especially if you can eliminate the reads that map to other parts of the reference. You'll probably miss SNP/InDel at the ends of the new sequence (because reads do not map at the end) but depending on the size of your new sequence this may not be significant.

Quote:
... or shall the way to do it is by integrating the files into the genome (would like to know how) ...
That would work as well. As far as how to do this, I doubt if there are any general tools available. You will probably have to do some cut-and-paste and/or custom programs in order to modify your reference sequence and annotation files. It does not seem that difficult since you know the coordinates.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fasta reference alignment