SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truseq small RNA library:138 and 140 bp peaks after gel purification shahideh Sample Prep / Library Generation 7 03-27-2013 01:12 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
kumard
Junior Member
 
Location: Midwest USA

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Default RNA purification, DNA contamination, and small RNA sizing profiles

Hello all,

I am extracting total RNA from tissues derived from wild animals after 24-48 h of death. I am able to get a RIN of approximately 7, but my samples have DNA contamination. I am using only 2.5mg of tissue (homogenized in 1 mL of Trizol-like proprietary reagent).


I have tried Trizol-based method (without DNase treatment) that claims to remove DNA and a silica column based method (with On-column DNase treatment from two different suppliers). My RNA concentration approximately 150 ng/uL and DNA contamination is approximately 3 ng/uL (2% of total RNA). Is this level of contamination "tolerable" for RNASeq (both large and miRNA).

I know that getting rid of DNA completely is not possible. But, what should I do now?

My second issue is about change in the small RNA profiles as seen in this image below. The column-based purification is certainly changing/reducing the small RNA species. I do not want to use the columns for this reason, but DNA contamination is giving me a headache now.


I want to get feedback and guidance from those who have first-hand experience in extracting RNA, performing QC, and generating cDNA libraries for RNASeq.

It seems to me that the companies advertise false information and claims are generally not true (May be true for RNA extraction from model organisms and cells) and one need to develop a custom-made solution for their use.

Could someone please also guide me to the published literature on such problems in RNASeq?

Have a nice day!

Thanks,
DK
kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
olafblue1955
Junior Member
 
Location: Madison

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Default

What RNA-seq method are you wanting to use? Typically, DNAse treatment in solution works fine, followed by rRNA depletion. Our library preps are done using a stranded system (any DNA reads would be "unstranded" or map to both strands). I have even taken to total nucleic acids sample, treated with Turbo DNAse, run rRNA depletion and then standard TruSeq Total RNA library prep. This should be done sequencing tomorrow or Monday; then we run RNA-Seq alignment and look at the stranded percentage. If there is excessive DNA in your samples, then percent stranded metric will be lower than 97% or so.
olafblue1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
kumard
Junior Member
 
Location: Midwest USA

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafblue1955 View Post
What RNA-seq method are you wanting to use? Typically, DNAse treatment in solution works fine, followed by rRNA depletion. Our library preps are done using a stranded system (any DNA reads would be "unstranded" or map to both strands). I have even taken to total nucleic acids sample, treated with Turbo DNAse, run rRNA depletion and then standard TruSeq Total RNA library prep. This should be done sequencing tomorrow or Monday; then we run RNA-Seq alignment and look at the stranded percentage. If there is excessive DNA in your samples, then percent stranded metric will be lower than 97% or so.
HI! Thanks for your message. I will send the samples to our Core for TruSeq Small RNA library prep or SMARTer smRNA-Seq. Did you perform PicoGreen of QubIt DNA HS assay for your RNA sample? If yes, how much DNA do you see?
kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
olafblue1955
Junior Member
 
Location: Madison

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Hi,

I only use Qubit for final library quants after PCR and AMPure cleanup; I've not done DNA quants after RNA extraction (our samples are either samples that are acquired from retail sources of from collaborators who use standard RNA purification, with DNAse I/Turbo DNAse treatment. Sample integrity is assayed bioinformatically after sequencing and use of an RNA-Seq aligner program (Bowtie, etc.)

Is the main issue with DNAse removal something to do with the sample types or the data that you are trying to acquire?
olafblue1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
luc
Senior Member
 
Location: US

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 420
Default

Qubit DNA assays will also measure Doublestranded RNA, e.g. ds parts of rRNA.
Do you see any signs of DNA on the Bioanalyzer?
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
olafblue1955
Junior Member
 
Location: Madison

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Default

I don't, but then again I only use the Qubit High Sensitivity DNA assay for measuring the quants on my dsDNA library outputs.
olafblue1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
luc
Senior Member
 
Location: US

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 420
Default

I guess your RNA coul actually be clean, DNA-free.
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:04 AM   #8
torben
Member
 
Location: Norway

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 19
Default

Most likely your RNA is free from DNA. Even though the Qubit DNA assay is highly selective for double-stranded DNA, pure RNA will also give some signal, see figure 1 in https://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-...S_Assay_UG.pdf.
torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
kumard
Junior Member
 
Location: Midwest USA

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafblue1955 View Post
Hi,

I only use Qubit for final library quants after PCR and AMPure cleanup; I've not done DNA quants after RNA extraction (our samples are either samples that are acquired from retail sources of from collaborators who use standard RNA purification, with DNAse I/Turbo DNAse treatment. Sample integrity is assayed bioinformatically after sequencing and use of an RNA-Seq aligner program (Bowtie, etc.)

Is the main issue with DNAse removal something to do with the sample types or the data that you are trying to acquire?
I am a newbie in RNASeq. Most of the RNA-library prep kits talk about using DNA-free RNA. That is why I am concerned about the residual DNA.
kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
kumard
Junior Member
 
Location: Midwest USA

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
I guess your RNA coul actually be clean, DNA-free.
I hope so. But, then why the instruments like Qubit are so popular when it cannot determine low levels of DNA in the presence of RNA. Is this false advertising or I am missing something here. I guess Qubit DNA HS could be a better job in quantifying the cDNA libraries than residual DNA in RNA sample.

Thank you!
kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #11
luc
Senior Member
 
Location: US

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 420
Default

Quote:
I guess Qubit DNA HS could be a better job in quantifying the cDNA libraries than residual DNA in RNA sample.
It will.

Who says molecular physics/chemistry is easy? These signals are likely due to the nature of dyes. Likely the HS-DNA dye will mostly bind to dsDNA to become fluorescent, but also to other ds nucleic acids (dsRNA stretches ? or DNA/RNA hybrids?)
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rna, rna dna contamination, rna extraction, rna integrity, small rna

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO