SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
high number of contig produced from genome assembly Dr khani Bioinformatics 3 01-03-2018 02:42 AM
Contig vs contig or map against contig lib? JackieBadger Bioinformatics 1 05-30-2016 06:34 AM
Adding counting Contig number at the start of Fasta Sequences Zapages Bioinformatics 3 05-12-2015 10:03 AM
determining number of reads in a contig using clc genomics work bench kaps General 2 04-22-2015 03:01 AM
Easiest way to get number of reads per contig? kmkocot Bioinformatics 2 05-14-2013 05:53 PM

Old 10-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
jmartin

Default is DCJ distance affected by contig number?

I've done some clustering based on the DCJ (Double-Cut-or-Join) distances reported by the Mauve alignment program for 10 assemblies vs. a common reference. I used Mauve to re-order each of my assemblies to that reference before running the multiple alignment, and that I took the pairwise DCJ values that Mauve produced from that alignment for clustering.

But my assemblies are in from 30-100+ contigs each. With my data it doesn't appear that the contig number correlates directly with the DCJ distances, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm that. A colleague tracked down a very brief summary in an NCBI paper:

"The double cut and join (DCJ) distance (Bergeron et al., 2006) between the assembly and reference is calculated to estimate the effect of misassembly and lack-of-assembly errors (excess contig breaks) on rearrangement distance"

But that is a bit unclear to me. Looking at the referenced article, the crux of DCJ seems like its looking at oriented genes sitting on chromosomes. So if you know the orthologous genes and their orientations/positions on the reference you could calculate the # operations to bring the query assembly geneset in line with the reference geneset.

But that doesn't seem possible for Mauve, which only has my assemblies (no genes). Could someone more familiar with Mauve explain how it calculates DCJ?

Thanks,
John Martin
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote