No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library failure - any help appreciated

Hi all

I am having trouble getting a MiSeq run to work and was hoping someone might be able to help

I have swab samples from surfaces in a hospital, i have DNA extracted using a bead beat and Qiagen column. Then I have pooled the extracted DNA from bed spaces and PCR's using 16S primers and custom barcodes for my library prep.

I have qPCR'd almost all of the samples individually before pool with a Staph generic assay and there are a few with not much in and some that may have been inhibited but I would think that would be diluted out with the pooling.

So, I have PCR'd to add barcodes, run a size select gel to purify - seen bands on all lanes. I have Qubited, adjusted to 4nM, pooked 96 samples, qubited again and then used this as my library. Denatured and prepared as per Illumina protocol and the samples are not working.

Does anyone have any ideas? thanks

What do you mean by not working? How do you know they failed?

Comment

Originally posted by Heisman View Post
      What do you mean by not working? How do you know they failed?
      The Phi X has clustered but the run then fails, so no reads at all from my samples.

Comment

I would confirm the sequences you put on with the barcodes.

"Old style"-non Truseq single end adapters don't work on the MiSeq although they do work on the HiSeq.

Comment

Originally posted by kwaraska View Post
          I would confirm the sequences you put on with the barcodes.

"Old style"-non Truseq single end adapters don't work on the MiSeq although they do work on the HiSeq.
          Thanks, they are the exact same ones as being used by other MiSeq users in my lab and they are getting good results

Comment

Can you post SAV specs? Cluster density, %PF, base intensity plots....

Comment

Originally posted by GW_OK View Post
              Can you post SAV specs? Cluster density, %PF, base intensity plots....
              Hi, sadly not as the runs failed. the samples failed to cluster, nothing worked. apart from the Phi X.

Comment

Originally posted by firefly2280 View Post
                Hi, sadly not as the runs failed. the samples failed to cluster, nothing worked. apart from the Phi X.
                If phiX worked (I assume that means you got the sequence) then you should have the graphs/stats that GW_OK asked you to post. They will only show phiX data.

I have come across only one instance of a sample where it would not work on a HiSeq after multiple runs but did work on a MiSeq. Perhaps if you have access to a HiSeq you could try running your samples there (if the libraries are compatible).
                Last edited by GenoMax; 07-22-2013, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                  If phiX worked (I assume that means you got the sequence) then you should have the graphs/stats that GW_OK asked you to post. They will only show phiX data.

I have come across only one instance of a sample where it would not work on a HiSeq after multiple runs but did work on a MiSeq. Perhaps if you have access to a HiSeq you could try running your samples there (if the libraries are compatible).
                  ok, thanks will do later. I dont have anything with me. Im really new to this (you can probably tell)!

Comment

If you have a custom primer for your sample, the MiSeq requires a higher Tm than primers on the HiSeq (I believe this is discussed in other threads in this forum). We had a sample that only sequenced on the MiSeq when we used a longer sequencing primer, and failed with a shorter version of the same primer. Might be worth checking the Tm (if applicable).

Comment

Originally posted by Number6 View Post
                      If you have a custom primer for your sample, the MiSeq requires a higher Tm than primers on the HiSeq (I believe this is discussed in other threads in this forum). We had a sample that only sequenced on the MiSeq when we used a longer sequencing primer, and failed with a shorter version of the same primer. Might be worth checking the Tm (if applicable).
                      Many thanks Number6. The primers are all being used successfully by a colleague, so we dont think they are the issue. Thanks though

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses