Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agilent Bioanalyzer alternatives?

My Agilent Bioanalyzer is giving me fits lately! Any one have suggestions for alternative systems for analyzing fragment sizes (other than gels)?

Bio-Rad Experion.

Comment

Agilent has a new system that fills the same space as the BioAnalyzer but is reportedly simpler and faster. It's called the TapeStation.

Comment

Caliper LabChipGX.

What problems are you having? Most issues have work-arounds...

--
        Phillip

Comment

I use the Qiaxcel system. It works for me as well as the Bioanalyzer but the sample cost is about 4 times lower. It does use gel capillaries and the array lasts for only 6 months at a time so if you are not a high volume user, it might not be as cost effective as it is for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
            Caliper LabChipGX.

--
            Phillip
            Phillip, I run very diverse sample types, and it almost always gives errors about unexpected sizes, can't calculate RINs (not a big problem), it gives data in seconds rather than bp and won't switch unless I go in and do a smear analysis. Sometimes I'll run a sample, and run it again a hour later and get a completely different profile. It's just become a hassle.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Any thoughts, reviews and/or experiences with these other systems?

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
              Caliper LabChipGX.

--
              Phillip
              Hi Phillip,

Are you a LabChip GXI user?? If so, do it work fine in your hands?

Comment

Originally posted by veronica View Post
                Hi Phillip,

Are you a LabChip GXI user?? If so, do it work fine in your hands?
                Hi,

I would also like to hear from people with experience working with the LabChip GX.
                /Jakob

Comment

No we just use an Agilent Bioanalyzer purchased back in 2003. Over the years we have gradually increased our use of it. But we are still not to the point where we need that kind of throughput.

--
                  Phillip

Comment

Using Qiaxcel for NGS

Originally posted by adaptivegenome View Post
                    I use the Qiaxcel system. It works for me as well as the Bioanalyzer but the sample cost is about 4 times lower. It does use gel capillaries and the array lasts for only 6 months at a time so if you are not a high volume user, it might not be as cost effective as it is for me.
                    We recently installed a Qiaxcel in our lab, but the training was horrible. Could you tell me what run parameters, marker, etc. you use for running NGS libraries for sizing etc.? I can't seem to find any references for using the system for this purpose. --Thanks!

Comment

We have the Tape Station for Agilent. While the RNA tapes are still a bit lacking, my favorite is the genomic tape so you can look at much larger sizes.
                      Comes in most handy when a customer gives us a library that is "200-400 bases-I swear" and nothing shows up on Tape Station High Sens DNA Assay. We can then run it on a genomic and show them their size is out of whack, and allow them to decide what to do.

It is also great in that each sample runs at the same time in its own lane. That speeds up the time but also prevents one sample from messing up everything later in the chip.

I'd be happy to talk off the board if you have specific questions.

BTW-we have both Tape Station and Bioanalyzer so I am speaking from experience with both

Comment

Advanced Analytical is my personal favorite

I came from a lab in industry that trialed the BioA, TapeStation, Caliper system and Advanced Analytical fragment analyzer. While other groups in the company chose the BioA for the sake of "it's the standard," we chose the Advanced Analytical as it outperformed in almost every way, including running fragment analysis of dirty digests, without getting clogged.

I now work in an academic NGS core that uses a TapeStation and have been beating my head against a wall with its poor performance and reagents that expire either on the exact week of expiration or two weeks before.

AA also now sells a NGS specific system that I would gladly trade-in for the tapestation if I could. http://www.aati-us.com/instruments/f...yanalysis.html

Comment

Originally posted by dannydesloover View Post
                          I came from a lab in industry that trialed the BioA, TapeStation, Caliper system and Advanced Analytical fragment analyzer. While other groups in the company chose the BioA for the sake of "it's the standard," we chose the Advanced Analytical as it outperformed in almost every way, including running fragment analysis of dirty digests, without getting clogged.

I now work in an academic NGS core that uses a TapeStation and have been beating my head against a wall with its poor performance and reagents that expire either on the exact week of expiration or two weeks before.

AA also now sells a NGS specific system that I would gladly trade-in for the tapestation if I could. http://www.aati-us.com/instruments/f...yanalysis.html
                          So how much does that instrument cost?

Comment

I don't remember off the top of my head, the big brother version was significantly more expensive than the BioA/Tapestation.

However I saw them at SLAS this past year and their new system I think is trying to compete with the BioA and TS, but again, not certain. I imagine it's a bit more. I am certain that operational (per sample costs) to be less. Other perks are you're not locked into using the vendor supplied ladder and you can go out to 40Kb for DNA QC, Tilling, etc and change gels to do total/mRNA (with quality score), etc. The software was surprisingly feature-rich, unlike the the tapestation.
                            Last edited by dannydesloover; 03-12-2013, 04:43 AM.

Comment

We use the fragment analyzer from AATI, costs 31303.8€, cheaper per sample than bioanalyzer.
                              For implementation in our lab, this was easier than the LabChip GX because it can switch easily between different applications.

We see that our fragment analyzer shifts some peaks (sonicated samples) to the lower marker (to the left) unlike with the bioanalyzer. Does anyone have any idea how this is possible and what to trust???

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses