No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v4 communcation patch causes problem.

FYI:

Watch your instrument closely if you have the most recent v4 "communications issue" patch installed -- it no longer will error out when communication between the console and the camera hangs. In this circumstance your instrument will hang, collecting no data, but it will not warn you.

If you do notice you are in this state use the same work around as normal: just restart ICS (pausing your run(s), if possible, beforehand), or in the most extreme case, reboot the windows blade. Then the instrument re-establishes communications and the run continues merrily on its way once ICS restarts and you unpause each run.

This happened to us around noon yesterday. But because of the lack of warning the instrument collected no data for 16 hours before I noticed the issue.

Applied Biosystems: masking a problem is not the same as solving it!

--
    Phillip

You meant the latest v4.0.4? I haven't seen any issue since it was patched about a month ago.
    After you restarted ICS, were you able to get your data back? How did you do if not? Rerun those primers w/o data?

Comment

Version 4.03 did have some bugginess. Fixed one problem then had issues with the imager hanging during focal range detection. v4.04 seems to have fixed the issues that we had. So far.

Comment

Hi Vanessa,
        We are running ICS 4.0.4FC3.

We did not lose anything but time, as it turned out. I exited ICS, started ICS again, set the run progress points back to "image prep" and the runs continued without incident.

So, as issues go, this was not a particularly bad one. More an irritation. To avoid it in the future we are keeping an eye on the instrument to make sure it has not entered a perpetual wait. (Prior to this patch, ICS would time out fairly rapidly and enter a "pausedManual" state that was obvious from SETS.)

I am not objecting to its new "never give up" attitude, I just want to know when the run is no longer progressing so I can intervene to get it back on track.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Thankfully I've not had the hang-and-chill-forever-with-no-error-thing since before the 4.03 patch.
          I have noticed that our two instruments behave differently. One never showed certain errors, the other always did, and vice versa depending on the patch and the price of tea. Most quirky and temperamental, my gals are. I find they behave better in general if I restart ICS before every set of runs, when possible.
          I wonder if reinstalling the patch would prove to be beneficial?
          I have an angel of a FSE who is very responsive to coming out and giving them the proverbial whack on the side and reporting errors, working with my equally angelic FAS to help get things ironed out. I did notice on one of the machines, after the latest patch, that on some random ligations, data was not collected, or not reporting. This was new but the bioI FAS logged in and fixed. I wish I knew how to do that little bit of wizardry!

ETA I now set my alarm on my phone for every 4 waking hours to log in and check on the gals. First thing I do when I wake up and last thing I do before heading to bed. Ounce of prevention and all that jazz.
          Last edited by VanessaS; 11-23-2010, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VanessaS View Post
            I did notice on one of the machines, after the latest patch, that on some random ligations, data was not collected, or not reporting. This was new but the bioI FAS logged in and fixed. I wish I knew how to do that little bit of wizardry!
            Yes, we have seen that. Image data is collected, but no processing occurs for a ligation. We tell our bioinformatics contact at ABI and he initiates the processing for that ligation. Then everything is okay.

--
            Phillip

Comment

We had the same issue with one of 3 instruments running 4.0.4. The mouse is frozen right now during the F5 tag of a paired end run, but I can control the computer by VNC from another terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by selupe View Post
                We had the same issue with one of 3 instruments running 4.0.4. The mouse is frozen right now during the F5 tag of a paired end run, but I can control the computer by VNC from another terminal.
                That sounds like a windows issue, not what we saw.
                The issue we saw was that low level communications problem (possibly preventing control of the camera?). No noticeable change there with respect to earlier patch versions. Rather, the way the communications problem was being handled changed.

Previously when the communications problem cropped up, it would cause a timeout that would lead to a paused run. Now, instead, there appears to be no time out. Rather the console continues to attempt to re-establish communication with the sub-system -- possibly forever? (I finally noticed something was awry 16 hours after the "failure to communicate" event began.)

Arguably the new behavior is better -- but since we had absolutely no warning of the new behavior, it caused us a problem. Not a big problem -- ultimately we lost 16 hours of machine time, but no apparent loss of samples or data.

I will add that this situation strikes me as Applied Biosystems-typical. We have had similar (rare) failures on our 3730XL's. Where a run has crashed, but the instrument placidly displays a "green light". Some issue with error propagation I guess.

I think the easiest way to monitor the situation are the "Ganglia:: Cluster Reports". As long as these show the expected load spikes every few hours, everything is okay.

--
                Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses