Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS choice for a genomics orientated server?

I am setting up a server at our university to handle the storage and assembly of large genomes, and I am having difficulty deciding which operating system would suite our needs best.
    It has to:
    Be compatible with a Lustre 1.8 file system
    Able to run Gmod and Gbrowse easily and remain stable
    Run Galaxy

I have tried Gentoo, Ubuntu, and RHEL, each one has its pro's and cons... some work with Luster, but not so much with Gbrowse, and vice versus.

It is a fairly powerful system, so the question is of compatibility.

Any suggestions will be appreciated
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jambler; 09-20-2012, 06:33 AM.

If you need official support for lustre then your choice is going to be limited by that. I'd have thought that going with RHEL or a free variant of that like CentOS would be a good choice. To get lustre support you'll have to stick with RHEL5 since 6 isn't officially listed as supported yet, but this should work OK with most things. Gbrowse supports this too and I'm pretty Galaxy would also be fine.

Comment

We use Bio-Linux, which is essentially a wrapper for Ubuntu and it works very nicely for our user base. FYI: there is an upgrade script that will convert Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 to Bio-Linux:

I guess if you're looking for full support, use SUSE or RHEL (CentOS). You might eMAIL the company and ask them about Bio-Linux

Comment

I can second biolinux - if you want a pre-configured environment to run on a workstation then this is probably the easiest way to get up and running. Not everything you might need is there to start with, but lots of things are and the environment is pretty standard so it's easy to add in more packages.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server addition? My workstation is Ubuntu, but very soon I will be setting up 2-3 servers for the same reasons as the OP. I'm familiar with Ubuntu which makes it tempting for me to use, but I've been advised to go with CentOS for stability.

It would be good to know if anyone has core servers running Ubuntu LTS, and how stable they are.

Comment

Our fancy new cluster runs Rocks release 6.0 (Mamba)
            Last edited by rhinoceros; 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM.
            savetherhino.org

Comment

You could start with Ubuntu since you are most familiar with it. As long as you properly configure your storage it should be easy enough to switch OS's in the first few months (in case you decide your first OS choice is not stable/does not work).

Just make sure you keep your home/data directories portable so they can be easily unmounted and re-mounted.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses