No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Execute Tophat Via Java

Hi all,

I'm trying to run tophat via an Java interface. With other mapping tools like bowtie etc. it works perfect. If i execute the tophat start command via java runtime exec() it doesn't work!
    But if i copy the command into the shell it works fine...so what is wrong?!
    Is it becaue of the nested program structure, that java doesn't allow tophat to execute bowtie??

Can anyone help me or has experiences about that??

Cheers!
    Steve

Do you read output and error streams of the process? Probably the buffers are just full.

Comment

Jap...i do......and the errorstream always says that bowtie ca not be found....but it's in the PATH

Comment

Which form of exec are you using? Some of them allow you to specify the environment the command is run in and maybe you're accidentally resetting the path?

Comment

Does it work with absolute path then?

Comment

Java Runtime.exec(String command) should inherit the environment of the parent processes unless you overwrite it.

Two options for figure out what's wrong:
            1- look at the output of: getRuntime.exec("echo $PATH"). This assumes a unix-y environment (linux/mac). This will tell you if your path is set up properly.
            2- give it the the PATH specifically in exec("command", new String[]{"PATH=path/goes/here"};

vadim: what do you mean with absolute path? You need a working $PATH with tophat because it needs to find the bowtie executable.

Comment

Originally posted by fpepin View Post
              vadim: what do you mean with absolute path? You need a working $PATH with tophat because it needs to find the bowtie executable.
              Given that tophat works fine from command line I assumed that bowtie is already in $PATH. Therefore something could be wrong with tophat itself, for example it is not in $PATH. But you are right, first of all we need to see the output and errors from the process.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses