Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another question regarding vcf format

OK, I am sorry to ask yet another question regarding vcf format, I have noticed there are similar questions asked everywhere, on any forum. Still, I have a doubt, and wonder if I am misunderstanding some of the tags.

I have done some variant calling using samtools 1.2;
    The format field is structured as follows:

##FORMAT=<ID=PL,Number=G,Type=Integer,Description="List of Phred-scaled genotype likelihoods">
    ##FORMAT=<ID=DP,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Number of high-quality bases">
    ##FORMAT=<ID=DV,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Number of high-quality non-reference bases">
    ##FORMAT=<ID=DPR,Number=R,Type=Integer,Description="Number of high-quality bases observed for each allele">
    ##FORMAT=<ID=SP,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Phred-scaled strand bias P-value">
    ##FORMAT=<ID=GT,Number=1,Type=String,Description="Genotype">

I understand the difference between FORMAT/DP and INFO?DP (the latter considers all the bases), but I recently realized that I may be misunderstanding the difference between FORMAT/DP and FORMAT/DPR tags.
    Most of the times, the sum of the values in DPR is equal to the DP; in some cases though I have noticed that this is not true, and the DP value is slightly larger. In these cases, I have noticed that the alternative allele coverage in DPR also differs from the one reported in DV, by the same amount.

Can you please help me understanding what I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Max

EDIT:
    Here is an example:
    Format= GT : PL : DP : DV : SP : DPR
    Sample= 1/1 : 255,255,0 : 251 : 248 : 5 : 3,244
    Last edited by mstagliamonte; 07-19-2016, 07:51 AM. Reason: Example was added

I am not sure but I will make the, possibly unhelpful, suggestion to use Samtools 1.3 instead of 1.2. It may be more accurate and useful. From the change log:

The mpileup command now outputs the unseen allele in VCF/BCF as <*> rather than X or <X> as previously, and now has AD, ADF, ADR, INFO/AD, INFO/ADF, INFO/ADR --output-tags annotations that largely supersede the existing DV, DP4, DPR annotations.

Comment

Thank you, Westerman,

That's something I didn't think of. So basically, the missing bases support an allele that was not called, am I correct?

Comment

That is my guess. Not 100% sure though.

Comment

OK,

Thank you for your help

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses