SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small RNA library preparation nirwalniraj Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 02-01-2012 08:42 AM
48 SOLiD Small RNA Samples...help DT141 Bioinformatics 5 07-29-2011 08:46 AM
SOLiD Small RNA - Minimum % miRNA in library DrDTonge Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 06-20-2011 02:55 AM
DNase treat RNA before SOLiD Small RNA? DrDTonge Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 06-02-2011 06:46 AM
Question about Sequencing of mixed small RNA cDNA library satp Illumina/Solexa 2 06-19-2008 04:59 AM

Old 06-10-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
DrDTonge

Default Small RNA Library Question - SOLiD

Dear all,

So I've prepared my first smallRNA library from 4 fibrotic skins samples and 1 plasma sample. Following reverse transcription and amplificiation, I have run an Agilent DNA chip to determine the % of ligated small RNA to total RNA in each reaction. These figures have fallen below the threshold required to progress to bead prep (50%) with the best being around 30%.

From the traces, it seems that I have a predmoninance of small products (too small to represent miRNAs with 3' and 5' adapters) with only between 10 and 30% of the sample being of the desired size.

The manual recommends to perform a second round of size selection at this stage (on the resulting amplified PCR products) using PAGE to excise just the size indicative of miRNAs plus adapters.

My question is, would it not be more useful to use a small amount of the resulting PCR product in a second round of amplification?

Your help would be most appreciated,

D
DrDTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
DrDTonge

Dear all,

Just for future reference, I've tried the above technique (re-amplifying a small amount of the amplified cDNA using SOLiD 5' and 3' BC in an attempt to increase the % of miRNAs with adapters) with no success.

I'm therefore going to procede with a further round of size selection.

Best wishes,

D
Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
DrDTonge

Sorry the above was a rather vague (pre-coffee infusion) answer....!

By no success I mean on running the re-amplified product against the original product (Agilent DNA 1000) there was no increase in the % miRNA with adapters. In fact, very little amplification took place during the second round.

Just for reference so you don't waste time repeating what he been tried!

D
Old 06-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
pmiguel

Hi D,
Also any time you "use a small amount of the resulting PCR product in a second round of amplification", you have the potential to "bottleneck" your library. That is, only the molecules present in your "small amount" can be amplified. So you would have capped the diversity of your library at the number of different molecules in the "small amount".

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
whw

Do you think those "small products" are adaptor dimer? I had a similar problem making a small RNA library with Bioo Scientific adaptors (for illumina). They suggested adding the first strand RT primer immediately after 3' adaptor ligation. The primer binds any excess adaptor and prevents it from being ligated to the 5' adaptor. Worked great and the results were clearly visible on the bioanalyzer. Hope that helps.
whw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
SeqAA

They are most definitely adapter dimer. It's a common problem for sRNA preps.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
DrDTonge

Yeah, I'll second that. Most certainly adapter dimers from Agilent trace. Very interesting point raised by whw...I'll look into this for any future preps.

D