Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq: Comparative Analysis of RNA-Seq Alignment Algorithms and the RNA-Seq Unified

Syndicated from PubMed RSS Feeds

Comparative Analysis of RNA-Seq Alignment Algorithms and the RNA-Seq Unified Mapper (RUM).

Bioinformatics. 2011 Jul 19;

Authors: Grant GR, Farkas MH, Pizarro A, Lahens N, Schug J, Brunk B, Stoeckert CJ, Hogenesch JB, Pierce EA

MOTIVATION: A critical task in high throughput sequencing is aligning millions of short reads to a reference genome. Alignment is especially complicated for RNA sequencing (RNA-Seq) because of RNA splicing. A number of RNA-Seq algorithms are available, and claim to align reads with high accuracy and efficiency while detecting splice junctions. RNA-Seq data is discrete in nature; therefore with reasonable gene models and comparative metrics RNA-Seq data can be simulated to sufficient accuracy to enable meaningful benchmarking of alignment algorithms. The exercise to rigorously compare all viable published RNA-Seq algorithms has not previously been performed. RESULTS: We developed an RNA-Seq simulator that models the main impediments to RNA alignment, including alternative splicing, insertions, deletions, substitutions, sequencing errors, and intron signal. We used this simulator to measure the accuracy and robustness of available algorithms at the base and junction levels. Additionally, we used RT-PCR and Sanger sequencing to validate the ability of the algorithms to detect novel transcript features such as novel exons and alternative splicing in RNA-Seq data from mouse retina. A pipeline based on BLAT was developed to explore the performance of established tools for this problem, and to compare it to the recently developed methods. This pipeline, the RNA-Seq Unified Mapper (RUM) performs comparably to the best current aligners and provides an advantageous combination of accuracy, speed and usability. AVAILABILITY: The RUM pipeline is distributed via the Amazon Cloud and for computing clusters using the Sun Grid Engine. http://cbil.upenn.edu/RUM. Contact Info: Gregory R Grant ([email protected]), Eric A Pierce ([email protected]) SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The RNA-Seq sequence reads described in the manuscript are deposited at GEO, accession GSE26248. (Reviewer access link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/quer...g&acc=GSE26248).

PMID: 21775302 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

More...

Hi Newsbot!,

Many thanks for your sharing RUM program, http://cbil.upenn.edu/RUM/userguide.php
    It is wonderful and amazing program.

Regarding the following poster and published paper, http://cbil.upenn.edu/RUM/RUM_MGED.pdf
    I got some question that need your advice.

Question 1:
    Can I know what is the reason that they mention both genome and transcriptome mapping are both important?
    I have a human RNA-seq blood sample, pair-end read with 50bp , 210 insert size right now.
    Can I know more about what you mean that "genome and transcriptome mapping are both important" in the poster?
    If I have a pair-end data, how do we identify when should we prefer the read aligned against genome or transcriptome?
    I not really understand the reason that :
    1. "Black bar shows an alignment of a read to the genome.";
    2. "Black bars show the same read algined to the transcriptome.";
    3. "Typically given the above information we would preference the transcriptome alignment.";
    4. "However, if the reverse read maps as shown here, then we would preference the genome mapping which indicates
    a retained intron."

Question 2:
    For post-processing such as assembly, is it I can just used the raw read of RU_unique and RU_non_unique to run de-novo assembly?
    My main purpose is used the RUM pipeline to improve mapping step and then used the result for de-novo assembly the RNA-seq data.

Many thanks for solving my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by edge View Post
      Hi Newsbot!,

Many thanks for your sharing RUM program, http://cbil.upenn.edu/RUM/userguide.php
      It is wonderful and amazing program.

Regarding the following poster and published paper, http://cbil.upenn.edu/RUM/RUM_MGED.pdf
      I got some question that need your advice.

Question 1:
      Can I know what is the reason that they mention both genome and transcriptome mapping are both important?
      I have a human RNA-seq blood sample, pair-end read with 50bp , 210 insert size right now.
      Can I know more about what you mean that "genome and transcriptome mapping are both important" in the poster?
      If I have a pair-end data, how do we identify when should we prefer the read aligned against genome or transcriptome?
      I not really understand the reason that :
      1. "Black bar shows an alignment of a read to the genome.";
      2. "Black bars show the same read algined to the transcriptome.";
      3. "Typically given the above information we would preference the transcriptome alignment.";
      4. "However, if the reverse read maps as shown here, then we would preference the genome mapping which indicates
      a retained intron."

Question 2:
      For post-processing such as assembly, is it I can just used the raw read of RU_unique and RU_non_unique to run de-novo assembly?
      My main purpose is used the RUM pipeline to improve mapping step and then used the result for de-novo assembly the RNA-seq data.

Many thanks for solving my doubts.
      Hi edge,

You would be better off contacting the authors of the paper directly as Newsbot is simply a bot that aggregates "next-gen sequencing" content from Pubmed and has no involvement in the RUM software.

Comment

thanks for remind, PeteH

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses