SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
disentangling target genome and endosymbiont at read level PHSchi Bioinformatics 9 12-12-2011 07:54 PM
Converting reads mapped from transcriptome back to genome golharam Bioinformatics 12 09-19-2011 02:49 PM
Naive question about read mapping, where is intron in genome.fa data chenyao Bioinformatics 9 08-23-2011 09:50 AM
Question on mapping reads Wiseone De novo discovery 0 09-26-2010 07:22 PM
newbie question: mapping solid reads crh SOLiD 3 04-30-2010 07:10 AM

Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
NGS_Newbie

Default question about mapping reads back to an endosymbiont genome

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and to RNA-seq, and the sequencing project I'm working on is a bit tricky. The experiment I'm doing is basically a single Illumina HiSeq run, just to see if and how many reads we can detect from the bacterial endosymbiont we're interested in from a total RNA sample. We have a draft genome, but it's not complete. It's basically a fasta file of assembled contigs plus short reads.

So, I was thinking to align my data using bowtie and assemble transcripts with cufflinks. I've searched the literature a little bit but couldn't find a source that gave details about how to map metatranscriptome data back to a single reference genome from a symbiont. Does anyone have advice about how to reduce the likelihood that an aligned read is from a homolog from a related bacteria?? I will set the mismatch allowances in bowtie to 0, but other than that I'm a little stuck as to what else to do for quality control. Thanks for the help!!
NGS_Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote