SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA-Seq: Digital gene expression for non-model organisms. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 08-17-2011 02:00 AM
tophat -G gene model annotations GTF format? silin284 Bioinformatics 15 04-21-2011 06:26 AM
how to select gene model from different gene predictions zwzhu Bioinformatics 0 01-13-2011 05:47 AM
free tool for gene model? yvan.wenger Bioinformatics 0 11-20-2010 07:30 AM
tophat with a list of gene model annotations. fabrice Bioinformatics 2 10-13-2010 06:44 AM

Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
ChrisAU

Default Consensus gene model

Hi all,

I have three different transcript annotations in gff format, two of them were generated by Cufflinks. Now I would like to build a consensus gene model out of the three. Do you have any suggestions, which programs are suited best for this task?

Thanks
Chris
ChrisAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
RockChalkJayhawk

Cufflinks should also report gene expression for you. Otherwise I would use mergeBed from BEDtools to build a consensus.
RockChalkJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
ChrisAU

I have two gene models from Cufflinks and a third one. They are quite similar for the most part, however, in some regions the exon-intron structure differs. The objective is, to calculate the most probable gene model out of them. mergeBed just merges all structures, there's no validation of the predicted models involved.
ChrisAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
arvid

You could try letting RSEM assign the original reads to the sequences of your candidate transcripts. It will fit the reads by a EM method and thus assign the reads to the transcripts in a way that fits the data... Afterwards you could drop the models with low read support.

If the differences are minimal, it will be difficult to verify the models computationally - I would go back to the lab and clone the transcripts.
arvid is offline   Reply With Quote