SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Pacific Biosciences

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diary: Assembly in SMRT Portal 2.1.1 with HGAP+CA 8.1 pag Pacific Biosciences 20 09-06-2014 09:20 AM
HGAP assembly coldturkey Pacific Biosciences 2 04-30-2013 07:23 AM
Finishing a de novo assembly of bacteria genome from single-end reads tdoniger Bioinformatics 3 02-27-2013 11:32 AM
De-novo assembly of bacteria genomes - which tools? maasha Bioinformatics 8 08-12-2009 01:41 PM

Old 05-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
heyyyjude

Default Best parameter for bacteria de novo assembly - HGAP

Hello,

I would like to know what is best for bacteria genome assembly in general. I work on 4M~6M genomes in general and they have 1 or 2 chromosomes with some plasmids. But I have more contigs than I expected them to be, so I would like to get reduced contigs.

I leave all parameters by default except genome size and I use HGAP3. So I am wondering if there are more options get reduced contigs, apart from genome size and using HGAP2. raising Target coverage or any other parameters help to get reduced contigs?

I work with PacBio20K and after running SMRT analysis (HGAP3) I usually got 80x for a chromosome but sometimes I got more than 100x for a chromosome.

Sorry about my English if it bothers you.
any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by heyyyjude; 05-23-2015 at 08:36 PM.
heyyyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
rhall

HGAP.3 is very robust, trying to optimize parameters for a bacterial assembly is not going to have much of an effect. What is the subread N50 for your data, and the seed length used in the preassembly? I would suggest trying to understand why the assembly is not resulting in complete chromosomes, try calculating dot plots between the contigs to see if the reason for the breaks is repetitive sequence. Or try running the Bridgemapper protocol on the HGAP output to see if you do have evidence for joining any of the contigs.

By far the best way to improve a HGAP assembly is to add more longer reads, either by increasing sequencing depth, or generating an improved library.
rhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
heyyyjude

Thank you for you advice. I will try to understand why it's not completed as you said.
heyyyjude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hgap, pacbio, smrtanaylsis