SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breakway: Identify Structural Variations in Genomic Data Michael.James.Clark Bioinformatics 45 03-22-2012 12:48 AM
Structural variations using Newbler mapper Soni Bioinformatics 2 12-06-2011 09:58 PM
inGAP-sv: a new tool to identify and visualize structural variations biofqzhao Bioinformatics 0 02-20-2011 08:22 PM
How to find structure variations from paired end sequencing in SAM format jfshao1984 Bioinformatics 0 08-21-2009 05:38 AM
Structural Variations sparks Bioinformatics 0 10-30-2008 02:16 PM

Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
mike.t

Default finding structural variations without paired reads

I have some 454 Titanium reads (not a paired lib, unfortunately) that I am aligning to the reference bacterial genome. I'd like to identify translocations, inversions and large indels, if possible using these data, but most methods that I've seen use paired reads for this. It seems to me that long reads (Sanger, titanium) could be useful for this too, if the read alignment is split, and each split aligns to two different locations in the reference genome. Does anyone know of a software that uses this approach or a paper that describes it?
Mike
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
kmcarr

Mike,

I have done this using the Roche gsMapper software. Even with single reads it will align them to a reference and then report variants (SNPs, indels and SVs). If you don't already have the software you can request it from Roche/454. Here is the contact page for software requests:

http://454.com/contact-us/software-request.asp
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
HESmith

Hi Mike,

A short methods paper describing split-read alignment for structural variation can be found here.
HESmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
mike.t

Thanks to both of you. I've heard that Roche is very flexible about handing out their software to those who need it, so I just requested it from the link that kmcarr gave me. I'll also check out the paper that HESmith recommended
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote