No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• error correcting pacbio reads

Hi all,

I have some pacbio fastq files from a recent experiment and some illumina fastqs, all genomic sequences.

My plan for these data is to error-correct the pacbio with the illumina.

For error correction there seem to be two protocols, one uses the command 'PBcR' whereas the other uses 'pacBio TocA'. I have wgs 8.2 but not the SMRT analysis environment. It says pacBio ToCA requires the SMRT analysis environment but for 'PBcR' it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

I was wondering what the difference is between these two commands and whether both require the SMRT analysis environment?

furthermore, I am planning to use pbjelly later on to gap-fill a Sanger sequence with the error-corrected pacbio. It says nothing in the supporting documentation but in the PBJelly publication it says it assembles the data using the ALLORA assembler from the AMOS suite, which is in the SMRT analysis environment (I believe). Can it use another assembler or does it also require installation of the SMRT analysis environment?

Would be very grateful for any advice on this, I am very new to genome assembly and any kind of command line-based computational analysis.

Mark

PacBioToCa has afaik been superseded by PBcR. You can either use the smrtanalysis, or wgs-assembler (aka Celera Assembler) installation for this.

PBJelly does not seem to depend on smrtanalysis (but it needs blasr and other things). Also, you can use the raw PacBio reads for PbJelly.

Comment

Originally posted by flxlex View Post
      PacBioToCa has afaik been superseded by PBcR. You can either use the smrtanalysis, or wgs-assembler (aka Celera Assembler) installation for this.

PBJelly does not seem to depend on smrtanalysis (but it needs blasr and other things). Also, you can use the raw PacBio reads for PbJelly.
      Thanks a lot for your reply, that makes sense.

Mark

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses