Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put your reference sequence in a new directory and then make the index.

Code:
    G:\>java -Xmx4g -ea -cp G:\bbmap\current\ align2.BBMap ref=G:\MAKE_NEW\indexreads.fq build=1 genScaffoldInfo=true
    Last edited by GenoMax; 03-05-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      You appear to be running out of memory. Increase -Xmx1g to -Xmx4g in the first command. Until this completes without errors do not run the second command.

How big is your reference?
      The reference is 200 mb file.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
        Put your reference sequence in a new directory and then make the index.

Code:
        G:\>java -Xmx4g -ea -cp G:\bbmap\current\ align2.BBMap ref=G:\MAKE_NEW\indexreads.fq build=1 genScaffoldInfo=true
        My ram is 4gb so I am going to use 3gb instead and if it fails I will run with 4gb. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by everestial View Post
          Also, to allow splice junction (which I would expect for RNAseq reads) what should I do. I have been reading the readme file. I understand the concept but for some reason whole coding process still doesn't make very good sense to me.

I was able to do fastqc quality check on iplant. Is there any parameter in BBMap equivalent to this quality check app.

Thanks,
          The default settings of BBMap work fine for plant introns. As for quality... the bhist, qhist, qahist, aqhist, mhist, and ehist flags will allow you to print histograms indicating read quality. You can plot them in Excel or whatever; but BBMap does not directly provide graphical output like Fastqc.

As for your error messages, as GenoMax noted, you are running out of memory. You can determine how to set the -Xmx flag by running AssemblyStats like this:

Code:
          java -Xmx1g -ea -cp G:\bbmap\current\ jgi.AssemblyStats2 in=reference.fa k=13
          At the bottom, it will tell you how much memory is needed.

Also, neither BBMap nor AssemblyStats support a reference in fastq format (.fq), it has to be in fasta (.fa) format. I'm not entirely sure what "indexreads.fq" is, but the "ref=" argument needs to point to the fasta file of the genome.

Edit:

A 200Mbp genome should run fine with 2g, but not with 1g.
          Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 03-05-2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

My ram is 4gb so I am going to use 3gb instead and if it fails I will run with 4gb. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks,
            on Xmx3g and 4g
            I get the message that the space could not be reserved.
            Then I se it to Xmx1500m
            still same message.

Comment

Are you using 32-bit windows on this machine (and 32-bit java)?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
                The default settings of BBMap work fine for plant introns. As for quality... the bhist, qhist, qahist, aqhist, mhist, and ehist flags will allow you to print histograms indicating read quality. You can plot them in Excel or whatever; but BBMap does not directly provide graphical output like Fastqc.

As for your error messages, as GenoMax noted, you are running out of memory. You can determine how to set the -Xmx flag by running AssemblyStats like this:

Code:
                java -Xmx1g -ea -cp G:\bbmap\current\ jgi.AssemblyStats2 in=reference.fa k=13
                At the bottom, it will tell you how much memory is needed.

Also, neither BBMap nor AssemblyStats support a reference in fastq format (.fq), it has to be in fasta (.fa) format. I'm not entirely sure what "indexreads.fq" is, but the "ref=" argument needs to point to the fasta file of the genome.

Edit:

A 200Mbp genome should run fine with 2g, but not with 1g.
                I am going to run the command incorporating all you advise. Hope it will work.
                Thanks,

Comment

I am going to run the command incorporating all you advise. Hope it will work.
                  Thanks,
                  Alrite, overall it seems like a memory issue. I corrected the files to fa (fasta) format by new concatenation. RAM of my computer is 4gb but I cannot allocate above 1400mb of the available memorey. I get the erorr message: could not reserve enough space for 1536000KB object heap.

Asseblystats isn't helping either.
                  Last edited by everestial; 03-05-2015, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you have a 32-bit version of Windows and/or Java, which may be enough in this case, we'll see. What was the output of AssemblyStats?

Comment

Alrite, overall it seems like a memory issue. I corrected the files to fa (fasta) format by new concatenation. RAM of my computer is 4gb but I cannot allocate above 1400mb of the available memorey. I get the erorr message: could not reserve enough space for 1536000KB object heap.

Asseblystats isn't helping either.
                      Well, AssemblyStats worked now:
                      BBMap minimum memory estimate at k=13: -Xmx2770m <at least 3080 MB physical RAM>

My RAM is 4gb. What would you suggest in this case? Is there a way to boost up the memory usage?

Comment

Do you know whether your OS is 32-bit or not? Right-click on Computer (should be on the desktop) and you should get a description of the operating system, indicating whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit. At least, it works that way in Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
                          Sounds like you have a 32-bit version of Windows and/or Java, which may be enough in this case, we'll see. What was the output of AssemblyStats?
                          My windows is 8.1 64 bit. And, I install java 64 bit too (recent release). AssemblyStats finally worked.
                          The memory required is 3080 mb. My computer is 4 gb.

Comment

You can decrease the amount of memory needed with the flags "usemodulo" and "k=12". What is the largest amount of memory Java will let you use?

Comment

I check and my computer is 64 bit.

Comment

OK, try this:

java -Xmx1400m -ea -cp G:\bbmap\current\ align2.BBMap ref=G:\bbmap\genome.fasta k=12 usemodulo

...and see if that works.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses