No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rationale for Superscript II RT use in Illumina 1st strand synthesis

Hello party people,
    Does anyone know why Illumina's 1st strand synthesis protocol (for RNA-seq) uses Superscript II (SSII, Invitrogen) as opposed to Superscript III (SSIII)?

Besides it lower thermal stability and shorter half life, SSII exhibits tailing activity, adding "2 to 3 bases in a template independent fashion to the end of a primer." (taken from invitrogen product notes)

I am a novice, still learning about the seq technology and illumina protocols so bear with me. Shouldn't introducing these extra bases effectively decrease the length of your final sequence read?

I spoke with Illumina technical support and got the answer to my question and some additional information that might be helpful to others.

They developed their protocols using SSII and never tested it with SSIII. The representative called this move "Institutional Inertia." The rep went on to say customers had reported using SSIII successfully for mRNA-seq and sRNA V1.5 library preps.

Comment

Originally posted by rodr08 View Post
      They developed their protocols using SSII and never tested it with SSIII. The representative called this move "Institutional Inertia." The rep went on to say customers had reported using SSIII successfully for mRNA-seq and sRNA V1.5 library preps.
      Interestingly, If you look at the mRNA prep protocol revision A (not the current revision D) SSIII is used... I had wondered if it had something to do with the lower optimal temp of SSII (42 degrees) versus 50 for SSIII

I recently used SSIII for a mRNA prep without a problem. While Illumina may not officially support it, it certainly works.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this information

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses