No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions for Illumina genome sequencing strategy

Hi

I need some advice how to cost efficiently sequence 3-4 invertebrate genomes of around 100Mb. I have some experience from a related genome where we had 2x150bp reads, an insert of 500bp and 80x coverage. I was not involved in the sequencing strategy, I simply got the sequences.

The assembly worked quite good: I got an N50 of 115kb and I could further improve the N50 to 350kb with a secondary assembly guided by a closely related published reference genome.

The guided assembly will not be possible with the other genomes and to get comparable results I would like to improve the Illumina sequencing. Naively I was thinking longer reads, longer insert and higher coverage would be better but I have some difficulties to get an overview what the different instruments are capable off, what the companies offer and what they charge. I mean Illumina PE alone because I don't think we can afford a combination with Mate-Pair or PacBio. This is what I know for now:

- We got an offer for $1,400 from a sequencing company for 2x125 (why not 150 on HiSeq 2500?), an insert of 550bp and 110x coverage. But this doesn't look more promising, right? I guess the higher coverage will just outweigh the shorter reads?

- As far as I know the only possibility for longer reads with Illumina are MiSeq platforms, but these are more expensive because of the lower output, right?

Any suggestions for an affordable (around $1,500 per 100Mb genome) Illumina only strategy ?

Thank you!

Have you considered synthetic long-read (i.e., Moleculo) libraries for improved assembly? The protocol works much better than mate-pair preps, and the reagent cost per library (~$125US) is not much more than for standard Illumina libraries (~$50).

Re: HiSeq 2500 output, 2x125bp is the maximum for older (or upgraded 2000) instruments.

Comment

Originally posted by HESmith View Post
      Have you considered synthetic long-read (i.e., Moleculo) libraries for improved assembly? The protocol works much better than mate-pair preps, and the reagent cost per library (~$125US) is not much more than for standard Illumina libraries (~$50).
      Have you gotten Moleculo to work well? We haven't heard too many success stories.
      AllSeq - The Sequencing Marketplace
      [email protected]
      www.AllSeq.com

Comment

It worked better than the mate-pair libraries :-).

In our experience, the critical steps were 1) using input gDNA of the specified size and concentration, and 2) accurate size selection.

Note that our test case was C. elegans, which has a comparable genome size (100Mb) but very little heterozygosity, repetitive DNA (and the repeats are small), or biased G/C content. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by HESmith View Post
          It worked better than the mate-pair libraries :-).
          So it was less painful than hitting yourself in the head with a hammer - good to know ;-)

But seriously, thanks for the feedback on your experience with Moleculo - glad to hear it's working out for you.
          AllSeq - The Sequencing Marketplace
          [email protected]
          www.AllSeq.com

Comment

Originally posted by AllSeq View Post
            So it was less painful than hitting yourself in the head with a hammer - good to know ;-)

But seriously, thanks for the feedback on your experience with Moleculo - glad to hear it's working out for you.
            Has anybody had any experience with the the 10X Genomics GemCode product? It appears to be a small, dedicated microfluidics robot (I'm guessing about the size of a toaster oven) and kitted reagents for creating "Moleculo style" libraries.

When Illumina first presented their kits for creating Synthetic Long Read (neé Moleculo) libraries the protocol looked very long and cumbersome; too many hands on steps. If this little box could do the same thing with a couple of drop in reagent cartridges, push of a button and walk away that would be very interesting.

NOTE: 10X Genomics is being sued for patent infringement over this technology by RainDance and U of Chicago.

Comment

I would suggest to run all four PCR-free libraries with 2x 250 bp reads on a single rapid Hiseq 2500 lane lane and use Discovar DeNovo.
              If you liked the 150 bp PE data, these can be generated cheaper on the Hiseq 3000.

There is no software available (yet) which uses the 10x GemCode data for scaffolding.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses