No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bisulfite analysis with Illumina FastQ from different lanes

Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie in NGS bisulfite Methylation analysis, so first, apologies iof the question is so simple but I couldn't find any topic related to: Anyway, we receive samples from BGI who work with Illumina, the problem working with Illumina as you may know, is the FASTQ paired-end files that we get are splitted in several lanes , I mean

NB_Lib1_L1_PE250_1.fq
    NB_Lib1_L1_PE250_2.fq
    NB_Lib1_L2_PE250_1.fq
    NB_Lib1_L2_PE250_2.fq
    NB_Lib1_L3_PE250_1.fq
    NB_Lib1_L3_PE250_2.fq

Instead of NB_Lib1_PE250_1.fq and NB_Lib1_PE250_2.fq, I followed the indications from other threads at Seqanswers and Biostar and I concatenated these 6 files in two ( 3 for the first paired-end and 3 for the second), the problem is that I got fastq files of 71 Gb, and I don't know if it is the proper way to do bisulfite analysis using BISMARK or Methylcoder, as far I know, Illumina has a pipeline with Bismark for bisulfite analysis, but following this it is mandatory to use CASAVA and I don't want to. So, my questions are:

Do I have to work using this procedure, concatenating the files in spite of their weight, or is there any other procedure of working with this splitted Illumina fastq (i.e, analyse FASTQ from one lane, then another lane and so on, the problem is, how to concatenate the final results of this)

Thanks

Hi antgomo,

As far as Bismark is concerned you could either concatenate the files before the alignments (in the same way you did) or merge the result files, either will be fine. You just need to make sure that the sequences are in the correct order (every single sequence in file_1 must correspond to the other end in file_2) throughout.

so it could look like this:
    -1 NB_Lib1_L1_PE250_1.fq,NB_Lib1_L2_PE250_1.fq,NB_Lib1_L3_PE250_1.fq -2 NB_Lib1_L1_PE250_2.fq,NB_Lib1_L2_PE250_2.fq,NB_Lib1_L3_PE250_2.fq

or
    -1 NB_1.fq -2 NB_2.fg (for concatenated files)

Just for the record, as far as I know the pipeline recommended by Illumina uses CASAVA only for their RRBS (do you have RRBS-type libraries?). If you need any additional help with your files (e.g. regarding quality control etc...) please send me an email.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses