SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bismark - A New Tool for Mapping and Analysis of Bisulfite-Seq Data fkrueger Bioinformatics 649 10-05-2018 02:43 AM
Bismark Bisulfite Aligner - Now supporting CpG, CHG and CHH context fkrueger Bioinformatics 27 10-11-2013 06:40 AM
Confused about the strand FLAG of Bismark paired-end seq results Jerry_Zhao Bioinformatics 2 09-14-2012 11:45 AM
Bismark v0.6.beta1: Now supporting gapped Bisulfite-Seq alignments fkrueger Bioinformatics 6 03-19-2012 06:06 AM
Apparent duplication levels incongruence between bismark and fastqc with BS-Seq data gcarbajosa Bioinformatics 2 12-13-2011 09:43 AM

Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
sero

Default Questions about Bismark and bisulfite-seq

Hello everyone,

I am new to bis-seq data analysis and really feel confused about the 'directional' mapping.

In my paired-end sequencing data, I noticed there were very few 'C's in the first read file while very few 'G's in the second. (about 2%)

Is this the 'directional libraries'? When Bismark maps the reads, will it (or Bowtie) first turn the reads in the second read file into reverse complements?

I think in my data, there are only 'C' to 'T' in the first read file and 'G' to 'A' in the second, but I am not sure how to use this information in Bismark.

Thank you.
sero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
fkrueger

Hi Sero,

By the sounds of it you do indeed have directional libraries. Bismark will C-to-T convert read 1 and G-to-A convert read 2 before starting the alignments. So you don't need to worry about anything, it should all be taken care of.

If you are just beginning to understand BS-Seq may I suggest you read the following protocol.
fkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
sero

Thank you for your reply and the link!

I just felt unsure whether I was doing the right thing ...

Because Bismark says the directional mapping will only try the OT and OB strands ... so I worried whether I needed to reverse complement the Read 2 ...

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
fkrueger

For paired-end alignments this only means that read 1 of the pair will only align to the OT or OB strands. By definition, read 2 has to be the reverse complement or read 1, and if you would align read 2 in single-end mode they would indeed align to the CTOT and CTOB strands only. But again, don't worry, Bismark will handle it just fine.
fkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
sero

Thank you!

Tags
bismark, bisulfite sequencing