SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Memory issues running Bismark/Bowtie alignment on a cluster daniel_g Epigenetics 10 10-04-2013 08:18 PM
SAMtools variant calling : running time and parallelization Kerkyra Bioinformatics 1 06-21-2013 02:14 PM
Extreme parallelization for NGS analysis jtietjen Bioinformatics 5 09-12-2012 07:23 PM
bfast parallelization genome_anawk1 Bioinformatics 9 05-17-2012 05:36 PM
Support for parallelization of paired-end alignments with BWA Fabien Campagne Bioinformatics 0 12-17-2010 05:40 AM

Old 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
KlChen

Default Parallelization for Bismark using Bowtie 1

For Bowtie 1, I can use the -p option to do parallel search, but when I run Bismark with Bowtie 1 and the option -p 7, output is

"The parallelization switch '-p' only works for Bowtie 2. Please respecify! at bismark/bismark_v0.9.0/bismark line 6497

What's wrong with -p and Bismark? How can I speed up my alignment with Bowtie 1? Shall I use Bowtie 2 instead?
KlChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Nothing is wrong with Bismark. When you run bowtie1 using multiple threads, you can't guarantee what order the reads will be returned in. Since Bismark runs multiple instances of bowtie at once and then processes their outputs, it needs the reads to be in the same order (otherwise, you end up comparing different reads and everything breaks down). In bowtie2, this can be enforced with --reorder, but no such option exists in bowtie1. Just use bowtie2.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
KlChen

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryan View Post
Nothing is wrong with Bismark. When you run bowtie1 using multiple threads, you can't guarantee what order the reads will be returned in. Since Bismark runs multiple instances of bowtie at once and then processes their outputs, it needs the reads to be in the same order (otherwise, you end up comparing different reads and everything breaks down). In bowtie2, this can be enforced with --reorder, but no such option exists in bowtie1. Just use bowtie2.
KlChen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bismark, bowtie, parallelization