No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast+ database with gene annotation

Hello,

I have been trying for the last few days to make a blast database (with blast+ tools) that would contain the gene information from a genebank file. Is it possible to do that with blast+ or with bioperl?
    I have been looking at bioperl and it looks like you can add the annotation information to a sequence object, but I don't relly understand which object should I use. There is not a lot of information on this, not even in the bioperl docs.

Thanks,
    Andrei

Andrei,

BLAST databases aren't designed to contain a large amount of annotation about a sequence, and you can't create one directly from a GenBank file. The input to makeblastdb must be a FASTA formatted file (or an existing BLASTDB you want to alter). The text on the definition (description) line for each sequence is stored in the BLASTdb but just as a plain text string.

The more reasonable approach would be to read the accession or gi numbers from the BLAST hits and then use those to query GenBank or a local database for annotation.

Comment

OK, so blast+ does not do this automatically. Then I should be able to do this with bioperl. There should be an object that can get the genbank information from a file and then you could compare it to a SeqIO object that contains the corresponding sequence.

What I want to do is compare a query sequence to a blast database and see which gene from that database corresponds to that query. Also print out the parcentage of the matching nucleotides.

In order to do this I think I must first get the sequence for each gene that is found in the genebank file from the blast database. Then BLAST my query sequence against the gene sequences and get the one that matches the best.

Does this make any sense to anyone else?

Andrei

Comment

Why not follow kmcarr's suggestion - first Blast, then lookup the accessions in a annotation file or db?

That's how I'd do it too.

Comment

And how do I do that? The computer that I am working from has no internet connection, so I have to download all the genbank files that contain the gene information. I can make a local database from them too, as you can make with the fasta sequences?
          Last edited by andreitudor; 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses