X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• llumina no longer services instruments purchased through third parties

Greetings

Dear fellow seqers

I was considering a used HiSeq2500 V3 purchase. One of my requirements was that it be upgradeable to V4. I checked online and found instruments with serial above D00101 were upgradeable.

I wanted to confirm with our local Illumina field service engineer (who is a fantastic engineer by the way). He put me through to Illumina sales and here is the response I got:
    Hi ----

I was speaking with ---- earlier regarding this potential purchase and I asked him to forward your email so that I could reply. Unfortunately, Illumina no longer services instruments purchased through third parties and the license and rights of use are non-transferrable. I think this was implemented several months ago. I apologize for the inconvenience and sorry for being the bearer of bad news, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of this before you moved forward with the purchase so you could take all the variables into consideration.

I’d be happy to forward this to management if you would like more details on this policy or would like to discuss this further.

Sincerely,
    ----

What kind of service do you think is being referred to here? Just upgrades? Maybe repairs as well? Am I not even allowed to legally use a third-party purchased machine? Is this only for machines purchased after this so-called new policy? I couldn't find any kind of press release regarding this seemingly major shift, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Does this come as a shock to anyone? How do you feel about this?

Looking forward to the community's take.
    Last edited by alexhaj; 12-16-2015, 04:15 AM.

Does it also mean that they can potentially refuse to sell you reagents (since the wording above says "license and rights of use are non-transferable")? Did you ask?

Comment

No I haven't asked. Frankly I don't know whether I should ask. If we already had a preowned MiSeq it would seem very strange that they have been servicing that unit and providing reagents for that unit for the past year despite knowing how we acquired it, IF we acquired it.

To my thinking it seems that Illumina might say anything to discourage the purchase of a pre-owned machine but once you already have it why would they turn down that lucrative revenue stream.

Comment

I didn't think there was any hardware required for V4. Either your HiSeq was capable of doing it (camera?) or not.

--
        Phillip

Comment

You still have to do a software upgrade and firmware upgrade for the FPGA at a cost of about $15,000!

Comment

This would be a big gamble then. They may sell you the reagents but if they refuse to fix a broken machine/provide software updates/supply parts then you would be up the creek.

Perhaps the company that sells you the machine can be made contractually obligated to take the sequencer back if Illumina refuses to service it within a year or some mutually agreeable period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              This would be a big gamble then. They may sell you the reagents but if they refuse to fix a broken machine/provide software updates/supply parts then you would be up the creek.

Perhaps the company that sells you the machine can be made contractually obligated to take the sequencer back if Illumina refuses to service it within a year or some mutually agreeable period of time.
              Has anyone ever run a HiSeq for a year without needing service? Ours is pretty robust, according to our FAS, but we still see him every three-four months.

Comment

you might be interested in tis thread.. not that its third party - i own the machines from new.. but a picture emerges ...

Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)
                Last edited by dannyhi321; 02-20-2016, 11:50 AM.

Comment

alexhaj - can you send me the full email from Illumina via private message?

Comment

Hi I don't have it as it was sent to someone in procurement. Turns out though that it's all negotiations. They said if we bought a new NextSeq then they would be willing to support us on a used HiSeq should we ever get one.

although they did stop selling us nextseq reagents until we bought a new machine from them.

Comment

Hi alex. Can you DM me more information about them not selling reagents?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses