Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat2 Bowtie2 Htseq-count for bacteria

Hey this is my first try to analyse a rna-seq project. Since the company we worked with is not able to give me a usefull annotated differential expression table...

I just want to know for sure, if its half-way right what I do.

My samples: 2 conditions, 2 replicats from each condition, 50bp single-end, not strand-specific. I got 23m-50m reads per library.

I want to know differential expressed genes between conditions.

I first wanted to use bowtie2 for alignment and that worked pretty well until I noticed that no NH tag for htseqcount is written.

So I switched to tophat and there it got complicated:

In default tophat2 finds lesser alignments than bowtie2. Why? As I understand tophat2 uses bowtie2 for aligment.

As I dont want to find novel junctions, as there is no splicing my bacterium, the final command I used after several attempts is:

tophat2 -G file.gtf --no-novel-juncs --no-coverage-search --library-typ fr-unstranded index file.fastq

With every attempt (first: --no-coverage-search; second: added -G; third: added --no-novel juncs) the count of aligned reads dropped a little bit. Why it droppend between this 3 modes?

With the last mode I got an alignment rate of 65-75%.

I finally got my count tables with
    samtools view file.bam | htseq-count -t gene -s no - file.gtf > counts.txt

Now I will use deseq for differential expression.

Everything ok so far?

I just went through the same process as what you did
    see my post here http://crazyhottommy.blogspot.com/20...-sort-and.html

I am following the protocol from Simon Anders http://www.nature.com/nprot/journal/....2013.099.html
    Count-based differential expression analysis of RNA sequencing data using R and Bioconductor

Originally posted by chickenmcfu View Post
    Hey this is my first try to analyse a rna-seq project. Since the company we worked with is not able to give me a usefull annotated differential expression table...

I just want to know for sure, if its half-way right what I do.

My samples: 2 conditions, 2 replicats from each condition, 50bp single-end, not strand-specific. I got 23m-50m reads per library.

I want to know differential expressed genes between conditions.

I first wanted to use bowtie2 for alignment and that worked pretty well until I noticed that no NH tag for htseqcount is written.

So I switched to tophat and there it got complicated:

In default tophat2 finds lesser alignments than bowtie2. Why? As I understand tophat2 uses bowtie2 for aligment.

As I dont want to find novel junctions, as there is no splicing my bacterium, the final command I used after several attempts is:

tophat2 -G file.gtf --no-novel-juncs --no-coverage-search --library-typ fr-unstranded index file.fastq

With every attempt (first: --no-coverage-search; second: added -G; third: added --no-novel juncs) the count of aligned reads dropped a little bit. Why it droppend between this 3 modes?

With the last mode I got an alignment rate of 65-75%.

I finally got my count tables with
    samtools view file.bam | htseq-count -t gene -s no - file.gtf > counts.txt

Now I will use deseq for differential expression.

Everything ok so far?

Comment

Yes, the description of Deseq is easy to follow, even with no R experience.

Unfortunately I have run in other problems. Deseq analysis gives me 125 differentially regulated genes. The commercial sequencing service gives me a cuffdiff result of 200 genes (mixed up annotation though). So now I went through the process of cuffdiff and got 129 regulated genes.

As I now have conducted nearly every possible mapping (bowtie2, tophat2), whole genome or with options for tophat -G and -T and then for cuffdiff -M with the rtRNA.gtf, I could bring it up to 136.

The only thing in which my analysis differs from them is, that they align straight to only the cds and ncRNAs, completely disregarding the RNAs, but then give cuffdiff a full gtf. They afterwards did a second mapping with the fastqs to rtRNAs, so I know that up to 4.5% map to them.

Is this right? Can this difference within the alignment give such a huge difference in the results?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses