Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCA with cufflinks data

I was wondering if folks had any advice on the simplest way to generate a principal component analysis or MDS plot with Cufflinks output. I could group all my Cufflinks output into a data matrix and then try to visualize it but I was wondering if there was a built in way in R (perhaps through a tool or package like cummerbun) Thanks -Rich

Originally posted by greener View Post
    I was wondering if folks had any advice on the simplest way to generate a principal component analysis or MDS plot with Cufflinks output. I could group all my Cufflinks output into a data matrix and then try to visualize it but I was wondering if there was a built in way in R (perhaps through a tool or package like cummerbun) Thanks -Rich
    Hi Rich,
    Awesome idea, and one that can be very easily implemented with cummeRbund. If you run a cuffdiff on all of your samples, cummeRbund will take care of aggregating the information into a SQLite db behind the scenes. The generation of the FPKM matrix is very simple once this is complete:

Code:
    >library(cummeRbund)
    >cuff<-readCufflinks()

>allGeneFPKMs<-fpkmMatrix(genes(cuff)) #You can of course use the transpose if you want samples instead of genes
    >genes.pca<-prcomp(allGeneFPKMs)
    >biplot(genes.pca) 

>allIsoformFPKMs<-fpkmMatrix(isoforms(cuff))
    >isoforms.pca<-prcomp(allIsoformFPKMs)
    etc,etc,...

Please let me know how this works out for you. It may be something that I would like to integrate into cummeRbund for the future.

Cheers,
    Loyal

Comment

A PCA or MDS plot function built in to cummeRbund would be an excellent feature!

Comment

Can i also vote for a PCA component for cummeRbund?

Comment

Hi all, both PCA and MDS are now built in to the development version of cummerbund. (PCAplot and MDSplot). Will become release version on October 2nd, but can be downloaded from BioC now...

-Loyal

Comment

perfect news Thank you.

Comment

That's great, the plot generated by the MDSplot command is very useful. It would be nice to be able to color samples by arbitrary experimental conditions, for example, to be able to make all replicates of one sample the same color.

It is easy enough to run each command in the MDSplot function manually and supply a different "names" vector to the geom color option:
              customnames<- c("Wildtype", "Wildtype", "Wildtype", "Mutant", "Mutant", "Mutant")
              p <- p + geom_point(aes(x=M1,y=M2,color=customnames)) + geom_text(aes(x=M1,y=M2,label=names,color=customnames)) + theme_bw()

But it would be nice to have that capability built into the function.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses